The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Recreation Coordinator position.
Incumbents supervise staff, volunteers and summer workers. The Recreation Coordinator plans and coordinates programming and staffing for the center Out of School Time Program, teens, and adults. Recreation Coordinators will have latitude in implementing programs within their assigned area of responsibility. The Coordinator assists center managers with recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating and retaining high quality and professional staff. Also assists with the development and monitoring of program budgets. Manages program expenditures to remain within budget and increase opportunities to generate revenue or cost recovery. General supervision is received from a recreation manager of higher grade or a Regional Program Director. Patrick Henry Recreation Center operates Monday-Friday from 9a.m. to 9p.m. and Saturdays from 9a.m. to 6p.m. and other hours on demand. Flexibility and the ability to accommodate a varied work schedule which will include working evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
What You Should Bring
Each member of the team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You should possess good knowledge of the principles and practices of community recreational work; ability to plan and direct recreational program activities; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, participants and the public; ability to generate interest and participation in center activities with varied age groups; and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and writing. Your passion for community engagement, public service while being responsive, professional, courteous and accountable will be highly-valued in this role.
- Assists in overseeing the program operations on a daily basis;
- Assists with the hiring process; approves the selection of staff;
- Attends scheduled staff meetings and training;
- Daily and monthly monitoring and reporting of revenues and expenditures against the approved budget;
- Develops and implements annual strategic program plans for the recreation center;
- Develops measures for each program/activity to evaluate success and adjusts as necessary;
- Monitors the annual budget and provides justification for additional resources that support the centers operation;
- Plans, directs and coordinates all activities and staff for center programs; establishes related work schedules, work priorities, operating procedures, and safety standards;
- Provides excellent customer service providing information, answering questions and concerns related to programs to the public on a daily basis;
- Purchases supplies and equipment following department and City procedures;
- Represents the Department at public meetings and maintains working relationships with members of the community, including with interest groups/stakeholders;
- Uses RecTrac, Munis, Kronos, and Microsoft Office to complete assignments;
- Other duties as assigned.
About the Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public space, cultural activities, and programming. The Department received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.