Technical Security Investigator
Occasional travel - Occasional foreign and domestic travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of application.
- Obtain and maintain a top secret Tier 5 clearance. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Submit to a polygraph examination prior to your appointment.
- Possess a valid U.S. state motor vehicle operator's license at the time of appointment. You must maintain license while employed in the position and will be required to operate motor vehicles in accordance with applicable OPM regulations and the United States Secret Service guidance and policies.
- Carry and use a firearm. Maintaining firearm proficiency is also mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
- Complete a pre-employment medical examination (including vision, hearing, cardiovascular and mobility of extremities) by an authorized Government physician and be determined physically fit to perform strenuous and physically demanding duties. You will be required to undergo regular physical examinations and to maintain a level of physical fitness in accordance with the standards and policies of this agency.
- Possess the following visual acuity - Distant vision: must be 20/20 (Snellen) in each eye (monocular) corrected. Near Vision: must be at least 20/40 corrected (Jaeger type 2 at 14 inches). Color Vision: must be sufficient to pass either the Ishihara or the Farnsworth D-15.
- Complete 12 weeks of intensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA or Artesia, NM. Failure to pass either of the training programs on the first attempt may result in separation from the U. S. Secret Service. https://www.secretservice.gov/join/training/fitness/
- Successfully complete a 9-week Mixed Basic Training Course at the Secret Service's training facility near Washington, DC.
- Be appointed to this position under an excepted appointment which is limited to 3 years and 120 days. Upon completion of this period, you will either be converted to career status or separated based on the expiration of the appointment.
- Sign a mobility agreement stating willingness to accept assignments anywhere within the United States and overseas.
GL-7: You qualify for the GL-07 level (starting salary $52,101) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-05 level performing duties such as engaging in structural/industrial/wildland firefighting; effecting technical rescue of life and property; employing hazard and fire life safety risk assessment techniques to complete initial incident analysis for buildings, structures or event venues; and/or responding to and mitigating hazardous materials (HAZMAT) or chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) incidents.
GL-7: 1 full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement or a combination of education and experience.
GL-9: You qualify for the GL-09 level (starting salary $58,108) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-07 level performing duties such as planning and organizing the operations involved in combating structural/industrial/wildland firefighting and/or responding and mitigating hazardous materials (HAZMAT) or chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) incidents; inspecting or investigating various facilities (e.g. warehouses, shops, hospitals, offices, living quarters, etc.) for violations of fire regulations, and for conditions contributing to serious fire hazards; and/or identifying criteria and implementing fire life safety surveys for pre-incident analysis and incident response.
GL-9: Master’s or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related. Or a combination of education and experience
We review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are considered in the following order: (1) preference eligibles having a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more; followed by (2) other 10-point preference eligibles; (3) 5-point preference eligible; and (4) non-preference eligibles (i.e., non-veterans). For information on veterans' preference, please click here.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The work routinely requires long hours with minimal breaks, to be on call 24 hours a day. Must be able to operate in sensitive, real time situations that may produce physical and emotional stress. Required to work in environments that involve risks of unknown hazards when performing protective searches of remote unsecured areas that may harbor unauthorized persons or environmental hazards, as well as the discomforts associated with working in hard to reach, dirty and hazardous areas of buildings, facilities and outside areas. You will not have control of the environmental conditions or schedule of operations; and will be required to be flexible to ensure mission completion. At times, you may be subjected to explosives handling and/or radio frequency (RF) exposure.
Regular and reoccurring physical exertion such as long periods of walking, standing, climbing, bending, crawling and similar activities is conducted on protective advances, technical investigations and projects at permanent sites. Performance of the duties requires physical strength to carry heavy equipment and mental alertness for activities such as long periods of surveillance for both investigative and protection efforts. Good physical condition, eyesight and hearing are critical requirement to this position.
In addition, all applicants who are not currently employed in the law enforcement provision of FERS or the Civil Service Retirement System must be less than 37 years of age at the time of receipt of a conditional offer of employment. (Unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement position covered by special civil service retirement provision, including early or mandatory retirement or are a preference eligible veteran).
Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
Applicants selected for this position will be required to sign a continuing service agreement before being assigned to an initial training class. The continuing service agreement will commit the applicant to a specified period of employment with the U.S. Secret Service upon the successful completion of training.
The Secret Service prohibits employees from having visible body markings (including but not limited to tattoos, body art, and branding) on the head, face, neck, hand and fingers (any area below the wrist bone).
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade and unit occur.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
This position is covered by Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) and additional compensation may be paid at the rate of up to 25% of the base salary.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of policy, procedures, methods and technologies that keep designated security areas and protectees free from harm and hazards associated with chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats, fire protection, life safety and technical rescue.
- Ability to serve as the agency’s technical investigative authority in criminal investigations.
- Ability to communicate in writing to present ideas and provide plans and procedures to customers, supervisors, and team members.
- Ability to communicate verbally to present ideas and provide plans and procedures to customers, supervisors, and team members.
Interview Requirement: Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
May be subject to an Applicant Physical Abilities Test
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes