ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY IV
Assistant City Attorney IV An Overview
The City of Alexandria's Office of the City Attorney is looking for a Assistant City Attorney IV to provide challenging and purposefully legal counsel to the City's Department of Planning and Zoning; Department of Transportation and Environmental Services focused mainly on litigation regarding Land Use and enforcement of the City ordinances; and the City's Department of General Services which primarily includes transactional work such as contracts and leases.
The successful applicant should have a JD, 7 years of relevant experience and be licensed to practice law in Virginia. In addition, the successful applicant should possess excellent legal writing skills and experience in interacting with the public.
- Assists in defending suits against the City, City Council, or City boards and commissions, and in interviewing witnesses, conducting discovery, preparing pleadings, motions, memoranda and briefs, and participating in oral arguments and trials;
- Responds to inquiries from, and provides legal advice and guidance to, members of City Council, Boards and Commissions, and City Departments;
- Assists in the drafting of ordinances and resolutions for consideration/enactment by City Council, as well as the negotiating and drafting of agreements and contracts and other legal documents;
- Performs research and prepares opinions on various legal issues concerning the City, which usually involve questions of City and State statutory law, and Federal and State constitutional law;
- Renders legal advice to and discusses City Code, City ordinances, and related legal issues with various departments and offices of the City and with residents;
- Attends, on occasion, meetings of boards and commissions and advises on legal issues;
- May assign work to Law Clerks and administrative personnel;
- Performs related work as required.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Juris Doctor degree; eligible to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia immediately upon hire and experience with civil litigation and drafting and negotiating contracts, deeds and other legal documents; and have 7 or more years of experience as an attorney.
The ideal candidate will also possess admission or eligibility for admission to practice in the Federal courts; at least 7 years of experience in one or more substantive areas of Virginia or Federal law. Experience in conducting legal research; excellent legal writing skills; experience in drafting legal opinions, court pleadings, ordinances and persuasive legal writing; trial experience in State and Federal courts, and/or administrative agencies; appellate experience or knowledge of appellate procedures; and experience in dealing with inquiries from members of the public and local governing bodies.
About the Department
The City Attorney's Office provides legal advice to City Council, Boards and Commissions, the City Manager and City Departments. We are responsible for drafting ordinances, contracts, deeds, leases, and other legal papers. We represent the City in civil court to defend the City in actions taken against it and to initiate cases to enforce the City's laws and actions. Our office is also responsible for handling requests for public records, in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act and for serving as an adjudicator for parking ticket disputes.