Finance Management Officer
The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is seeking to hire a(n) Finance Management Officer.
Position title: Finance Management Officer
Section: Physical Resources
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-tbd
Starting salary: $83,814 USD plus benefits
Competition no: 2884
Date posted: 11/28/2018
Closing date: 12/12/2018 06:00:00 PM EST.
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy.
Apply Via The Link Below:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Reside in the United States.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The covering letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under language, education and experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Reporting to the Deputy Head of Chancery (DMCO), the Finance Management Officer (FMO) is responsible for the management and oversight of the Mission's budget, reference levels, and Financial Status Reporting (FINSTAT). The position also ensures the provision of financial, payroll, and contracting to the Mission and will identify and implement improvements to financial procedures, guidelines and systems for the mission.
The Finance Management Officer (FMO) will act as a center of expertise for all aspects of finance, (payroll and contracting included) providing professional financial advice to mission program managers (GAC, OGD, co-locators), staff, and other missions in the same geographic region as required.
The FMO is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the IMS system at the mission and for working relationships with the mission bank, other financial establishments, local government agencies and other diplomatic missions.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
A degree from an accredited college or university in finance, accounting, business or a related field.
- At least three (3) years in the last 5 years of progressively responsible financial management experience, working with financial and administrative processes and procedures, including providing related financial, budgetary and forecasting advice to clients and/or to management.
- Experience preparing financial reports, managing financial data, and making strategic recommendations in a complex corporate or government organization;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, i.e., Excel, Word, Outlook; and
- Experience using an ERP (such as SAP, Oracle,…) SAP (FI and MM modules) and/or another advanced financial system.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of general financial and administrative policies and best practices related to financial management, such as business planning, financial tracking and accounting, budgeting, operational planning, and procurement; and
- knowledge of techniques and best practices in supervision, such as management of performance, learning and development etc.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing;
- Interpret and apply government financial policies and know when and what to bring to the attention of management;
- Ensure accuracy and attention to detail;
- Work independently when required or as part of a team;
- Learn quickly and independently
- Manage multiple budgets and provide guidance; and
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and clients at all levels in the organization;
- Interpersonal skills: work well with others and as a member of a team
- Sound judgement;
- Client-service orientation; and
- CPA, CFA or relevant certification;
- The ability to work in French would be an asset;
- Knowledge of SAP (FI and MM modules);
- Knowledge of Government of Canada financial procedures and policies.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Apply Via The Link Below:
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent will be required to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends on an as-needed basis. The incumbent may be required to work hours in excess of 37.5 hours some weeks.