Director Office of Human and Animal Food Operations East
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Conditions of Employment:
- U.S. Citizenship is required for federal employment.
- Ethics pre-clearance/financial disclosure statement is required.
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Probationary Period: Persons newly selected for career appointment to the SES must have their ECQs approved by the OPM Qualifications Review Board and will be required to serve a one-year probationary period, if not previously completed.
- Bargaining Unit Position: NO
- Drug Screening Required: NO
- Relocation Incentive: May be authorized.
- Recruitment Incentive: May be authorized.
- Supervisory position: YES
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 01/03/2019. In order to qualify for Director Office of Human and Animal Food Operations East, 0401, ES - 00, you must posses the following:
Specialized Experience Requirement
To be qualified for this position, your resume must reflect experience in a managerial capacity with responsibility for providing supervisory direction to a large and diverse organization responsible for promoting economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations on a national level and preventing and detecting fraud and abuse in such programs and operations. This experience must be evidenced by sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience in interacting with government and non-government officials. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. At this level, you would have typically been responsible for planning, directing, and evaluating work that included managing and/ or supervising other managers. You must demonstrate in your resume, significant achievements, increasing levels of responsibility as a manager, and a solid record of successful professional performance.
Senior Executive Service Requirements
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), your resume must show evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability, and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications (TQs), Desired Qualifications (DQs) and the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below.
Technical Qualifications (TQs)-- Your resume must show that you possess the following TQs.
In addition to specialized experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
1. Senior level knowledge and experience which demonstrates the ability to communicate, provide leadership and management to a scientific and regulatory program or complex organization that involves the planning, directing and the evaluation of a food and feed program and multidisciplinary activities.
2. Senior level management experience which demonstrates the ability to develop and implement a strategic mission certification training programs and materials involving food and feed preciously of high visibility and sensitivity to Congressional, consumer and/or international interests.
3. Senior level management experience providing and /advising leadership on compliance management, including enforcement of the most complex, controversial, and precedent setting regulatory cases involving food and feed products both nationally and internationally.
Desirable Qualifications (DQs)-- It is desired that you have the following (please show in resume that you possess these qualifications):
1. Training, professional development, and outside professional activities that provide evidence of initiative, resourcefulness and potential for effective job performance at a senior level and honors, awards, or other recognition for performance or contributions related to the position.
2. An advanced degree such as a Juris Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy, Medical Doctor, Master in Business Administration, Master in Public Health degree, or a Master of Science in Public Health, Master of Science in Natural Science or Allied Health Degree.
Executive Core Qualifications-- Your resume must show that you possess the following ECQs:
Fundamental Competencies: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs and should be evident over the course of your resume. Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation. It is STRONGLY recommended that you visit the following Office of Personnel Management (OPM) webpage for more information regarding the Fundamental Competencies and ECQs.https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/executive-core-qualifications/ .
- Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
- Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
- Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
- Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
- Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
If selected, you will be required to complete an ECQ package by drafting narratives for each of the ECQs for submission and certification by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) in order to be placed in this position. If you are currently serving in a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), you will not need to draft the ECQs.
This position has an education qualification requirement for the 0401 series:
A) degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B) combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 01/03/2019) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointee FAQ - OPM
- Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in applying for this position to serve in the SES must resign their commission if selected. If you are applying under this option, your resume must address the TQs, DQs, and ECQs in this announcement.
- Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of the position within the Commissioned Corps must address the TQs and DQs within their resume, but are not required to address the ECQs.
- Veteran's Preference: Does not apply to the SES.
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
- Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the ERIC Call Center Help Desk at (888)478-4340; TTY/TDD: (800)877-8339; or by email email@example.com. (If you request by e-mail, please replace the blank space in the body with the Vacancy Identification Number which is: 10368885.) Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Equal Employment Opportunity: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Financial Disclosure Reporting: The Ethics in Government Act,PL 95-521 requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE form 278) prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment. Visit the Office of Government Ethics website at www.oge.gov and select Financial Disclosure.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
This job opportunity announcement closes at 11:59 pm ET on 01/03/2019.
Your resume and responses to the Assessment Questionnaire are an integral part of the process for determining your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. Responses that are not supported by your resume will eliminate you from consideration. Your application will be evaluated in the following manner:
1. Application packages will be reviewed for completeness. Incomplete or late packages will not receive further consideration.
2. Basic qualifications review. Your resume and questionnaire will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the Specialized Experience Requirement. If you do not meet this requirement, you will not receive further consideration.
3. If it is determined that you meet the basic qualifications for this position, your application will be further evaluated by a rating and ranking panel, and highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in a structured interview, submit writing samples, and undergo reference checks. Top candidates may be required to submit further written documentation of qualifications.
4. The HHS FDA Executive Resources Board will review results and make recommendations on final selections to the appointing authority.
All information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. You should expect that we will verify performance, suitability, security information and take that information into account in making employment offers. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection, and/or appropriate disciplinary action. All initial appointments to an SES position are contingent on approval from OPM's Qualifications Review Board unless the selectee has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. An individual's initial SES career appointment becomes final only after the individual successfully completes a 1-year probationary period. For additional information concerning the SES visit http://www.usajobs.gov/SeniorExecutives.