Land Planning & Grants Administrator
For a complete job announcement and job description, please visit https://www.novaparks.com/employment.
Please include Opportunity Announcement #18-12-35 when applying.
NOVA Parks has a full-time opening for a LAND PLANNING & GRANTS ADMINISTRATOR at NOVA Parks Headquarters – Fairfax Station, Virginia. Hiring Salary Range: $85,000 - $95,000
The LAND PLANNING AND GRANTS ADMINISTRATOR has technical responsibilities for the administration of NOVA Parks’ properties, easements, and non-park use licensing program; the administration of grant programs for land acquisition and park capital projects; processing project plans and planning documents from outside organizations; and assisting with the development and implementation of capital projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (with illustrative examples of work)
Administer NOVA Parks properties and easements:
- Manage a program for administering easements and licenses on NOVA Parks properties.
- Negotiate terms and conditions of land use agreements.
- Prepare agreements in conjunction with legal counsel.
- Develop, refine, and enforce license policies, procedures, and fees.
- Recommend construction mitigation plans for non-park improvements.
- Coordinate and present applications to NOVA Parks Board.
- Coordinate with legal, real estate, engineering consultants, and in-house staff.
- Evaluate the suitability of properties for acquisition, donation, and/or replacement and coordinate conveyance agreements and title work with consultants.
- Maintain staff time and cost records and monitor accounting of permit fees and rental accounts receivable.
- Prepare and maintain license fees budget, keep recurring rents and fees current with market values.Maintain records on land and easement acquisitions and coordinate with accounting and auditors to record new assets.
Administer NOVA Parks program for grant revenues and various external funding sources:
- Manage NOVA Parks grant program for land acquisition and capital development projects and identify potential federal, state, and other grant funding sources.
- Write, prepare, and submit grant applications in coordination with NOVA Parks staff.
- Administer environmental and cultural resource reviews of proposed grant projects and obtain local jurisdiction land use approvals.
- Administer grant agreements and ensure compliance with funding agency requirements, including reimbursement procedures.
- Prepare conversion applications for projects involving federal Land and Water Conservation Fund grants.
Process project plans and planning documents:
- Review planning documents and land use applications, analyze impacts on park land, and formulate recommendations.
- Evaluate plans and proffers to determine the impact on park land and provide recommendations.
- Prepare reports and maintain accurate files and records.
- Establish and maintain contacts with local municipal land planning offices in order to keep abreast of changes/trends.
- Represent NOVA Parks in local planning matters at conferences and/or meetings
Assist with the planning and implementation of NOVA Parks’ capital projects
- Conduct research and prepare reports of a varied nature.
- Coordinate design and permitting of development projects.
- Obtain land use approvals from local jurisdictions.
- Address local boards and citizen groups on NOVA Parks planning issues and related activities.
- Develop sustainable practices and procedures to be implemented during park development.
- Attend and present projects at various public meetings throughout member jurisdictions including occasional evenings and weekends.
Education: Graduation from accredited university with a bachelor's degree in public administration, planning, or closely related field.
Physical: Non-manual work with strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions in office and outdoor settings; must be able to maneuver through construction sites and other sites with rugged terrain.
Experience: Ten years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides:
- Considerable knowledge of land use planning, principles, methods, and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of the fundamentals of easements and licenses and encroachment enforcement.
- Knowledge of real estate and contract law principles with ability to interpret and compose legal contracts.
- Ability to gain considerable knowledge of federal and state grant requirements.
- Ability to conduct research, analyze, and interpret data and prepare reports.
- Knowledge of real estate appraisal principles with ability to evaluate and interpret appraisals.
- Ability to negotiate contract conditions, compensation terms, and real estate transactions.
- Ability to interpret engineering and construction plans.
- Knowledge of construction methods and practices.
- Knowledge of park management principles, methods, and practices.
- Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with municipal officials, special interest groups, consultants, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and explain NOVA Parks’ policies and procedures to the public, special interest groups, and municipal officials.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and organized records.
- Working knowledge of personal computers and associated software.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management.
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain a driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Availability to attend evening and/or weekend meetings.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current needs.
How to Apply: Please complete a full time application online or submit your complete and current resume to the NOVA Parks Human Resources Office. Please include the NOVA Parks Opportunity Announcement Number on your resume.
Resumes may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
NOVA Parks Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
Benefits: This position is a benefit eligible position. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plan, and more.
Selection Process: Panel Interview
Background Check/Testing: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a thorough pre-employment background check as well as a pre-employment drug screening.
It is the policy of NOVA Parks to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-352-5900 for assistance.