Chief Financial Officer
The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) is the Home of the U.S. Cleaning Products Industry®. Our mission is to support the sustainability of the cleaning product and oleochemical industries, through research, education, outreach and science-based advocacy. ACI is dedicated to advancing public understanding of the safety and benefits of cleaning products, and protecting the ability of its members to formulate products that best meet consumer needs. ACI serves both its members and the public by developing and sharing information about industry products with the technical community, policy makers, childcare and health professionals, educators, media and consumers.
ACI currently has an opportunity available for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The CFO assumes a strategic role in the overall management of the Institute and is a key member of the Executive Team. The CFO will be responsible for reporting on all fiscal and fiduciary affairs of the Institute to the Board of Directors (Board), to include cash and investment management, as well as budgeting, forecasting, and audits. The CFO directs and manages ACI’s financial and information technology (IT) functions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and current IT trends and regulations. The CFO has primary day-to-day oversight and responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities of the Institute. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, investments, deal analysis, and negotiations, as well as fostering solid relationships with financial advisors, banking institutions, auditors, and ACI’s Executive Team. I
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS in Accounting or Finance, MBA, and/or CPA highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years solid experience in accounting & financial management, financial analysis, and compliance preferably in an association with at least 25 employees.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting practices in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, as well as not-for-profit governance.
- Experience with budget management, public accounting, and cash flow.
- Strong analytical, communication and interpersonal skills, adaptable, highly independent, and self-motivated.
- Experience at working with external auditors, compliance, and regulatory oversight.
- Ability to work under pressure and complete tasks within deadline.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience at integrating IT/Systems to improve accounting productivity and accuracy.
- Meticulous and well-organized with strong planning capability.
- Experience in a senior management position operating as part of an executive team.
- Ability to inspire confidence, create trust, and delegate.
- Effective people management and mentoring skills.S
Strategic Planning and Fiscal Management
- Works closely with the President and CEO to ensure clarity around long-term funding requirements and financial stability of the Institute and making proactive recommendations and suggestions regarding the Institute’s finances, as necessary.
- Serves as an integral consultant to the ACI Treasurer and Board on all financial matters related to the Institute’s finances.
- Provides leadership of the Finance and Accounting areas to ensure the proper functioning of all systems and financial software, as well as appropriate internal controls and financial procedures to achieve goals and objectives established by the Board.
- Proposes and implements financial management strategies, financial policies, procedures, and programs to enhance efficiency and reliability of financial operations.
- Assists the Executive Team with business analysis of strategic initiatives to determine economic and operational feasibility of establishing and maintaining the Institute’s programs.
- Leads and supports the annual budget process partnering with the CEO and Executive Team. Oversees long-term budgetary planning and cost management efforts in alignment with the strategic plan.
- Develops credibility for the finance team by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends in order to assist the President and CEO, the Executive Team, and the Board in achieving the Institute’s objectives.
- Supports the General Counsel, Treasurer, and Audit Committee in the creation of meeting agendas, supporting documentation, and the facilitation of Board and Board Committee meetings.
- Assesses and mitigates financial risks to the Institute to include overseeing the annual audit process.
- Manages all aspects of corporate accounting and finance operations including invoicing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, accounting operations, data entry, payroll, and operating line of credit.
- Works with financial advisors to provide strategic financial input to the President and CEO and the Board on decision-making issues affecting the Institute’s investments such as the Cash funds and the 401(k) funds.
- Educates ACI staff on financial issues impacting department budgets.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Fixed Assets including an inventory of assets purchased and disposed, calculating depreciation, making appropriate journal entries, and coordinating the filing of tax forms.
- Manages the cash flow and initiates appropriate strategies to maximize return on cash deposits and minimize service fees. Manages the Institute’s insurance needs in collaboration with the Senior Director, HR & Administration.
- Supervises the Senior Accounting Manager and Senior Director, Information Technology.
Information Technology (IT)
- Oversees the development and implementation of policies and processes to address ACI’s IT needs to ensure efficient, secure, and productive IT systems.
- Collaborates with the Senior Director, IT to assess technology needs and to ensure the platforms, software, and services in use continue to meet the evolving needs of the Institute’s staff and oversees processes related to technology maintenance, change management, and budgeting.
- Provides guidance and support on strategic and tactical IT matters.
Please email a cover letter with salary requirement and resume to: Resumes@CleaningInstitute.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.