Director of Development and Communications
The Accokeek Foundation is currently seeking a Director of Development and Communications to join its senior leadership team at Piscataway Park. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing fundraising for an annual operating budget of $1.5 million and involves managing government, foundation, and corporate fundraising, as well as individual giving. In addition, s/he will shape, manage, and drive the implementation of effective annual fundraising and communications campaigns to engage donors and supporters.
Development and Fundraising Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage all aspects of broadening the Foundation’s funding base, including: membership, the annual fund, major gifts, capital campaigns, grants, and planned giving.
- Oversee planning and execution of fundraising events.
- Research foundations, corporations and individuals to identify and evaluate prospects.
- Develop funding proposals for general operating support, as well as for specific programs and projects.
- Assist President/CEO with budgeting for revenue and fundraising expenses, analyzing trends, and creating and managing a development plan that is consistent with the Foundation’s strategic plan.
- Participate in board meetings, committee meetings, and other development and outreach events outside the organization’s normal operating hours.
- Serve as staff liaison for the board’s development committee.
Marketing and Communications Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the Foundation’s brand identity, broaden awareness about its mission and priorities, and increase visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create a communications strategy that will allow Foundation leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media and key influencers.
- Oversee development of print and digital communications, including the annual report, marketing collateral, social media, and website.
- Cultivate and manage press relationships, serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the development and communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree (or equivalent).
- 3-5 years of demonstrated success in fundraising for a science center, history museum, nature center, or other non-profit focused on informal learning and visitor engagement.
- Proven success in generating new revenue sources.
- Strong experience with project budgeting, grants management, and reporting.
- Ability to work with high-level constituents (including major donors and board members).
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, collegial, team-oriented, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Skills in using online integrated technology tools for fundraising, specifically Salesforce.
- Excellent writing, research, and communication skills.
Director-level candidates must have:
- Practical experience in project management, budgeting, and grant administration.
- Experience with supervising staff and volunteers, including developing and implementing policies and procedures to help the Foundation operate efficiently and achieve its mission
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Familiarity with and interest in outreach and marketing for programs.
- Comfort and familiarity with office software and technology.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time, 40-hour a week, exempt position. Starting salary range is $50-60K annually, and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Director Development and Communications” to firstname.lastname@example.org.