MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST/CASE MANAGER
Note: This is a re-opening to expand the pool of qualified candidates. If you have already applied for this position, there is no need to re-apply unless you wish to update your application.
Arlington County Government's Department of Human Services is recruiting for an experienced Mental Health Therapist to join a Community Support Team in the Behavioral Healthcare Division (BHD). The BHD provides services to adults with serious mental illness, many of whom also have co-occurring substance abuse disorders. The team includes professional counselors and social workers, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, and ancillary support staff. The employee works with community agencies, other professionals, and family members to ensure the delivery of necessary services. The population served is ethnically and culturally diverse.
- Assessing of client service needs;
- Developing service plans and supporting documentation;
- Linking clients to the appropriate resources for services;
- Providing supportive counseling and outpatient therapy;
- Meeting with clients in the community when needed;
- Facilitating and providing group treatment; and
- Advocating for client needs within the community and resources available.
Minimum: Master's degree in a clinical discipline such as Counseling, Psychiatric Social Work, Psychology, Art Therapy, Psychiatric Nursing, or other directly related clinical discipline, all of which required a clinical practicum involving diagnostic and treatment services, plus two years post-Master's degree experience providing clinical therapy and other mental health services, which included the application of diagnostic and treatment services.
Meet the criteria of a Qualified Mental Health Professional- Adult (QMHP-A) or a Licensed Mental Health Provider (LMHP) per the Virginia Board of Counseling regulations within 60 days of hire. For information, please click here.
Substitution: Directly related higher level clinical degrees may substitute for the Master's degree education requirement and one year of experience. In the case of this substitution, qualifying work experience must have been gained after the acquisition of the directly related higher level clinical degree.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Serving persons with a co-occurring mental health and substance abuse diagnosis;
- Substance abuse counseling experience;
- Working with seriously mental ill individuals in an outpatient setting;
- Providing case management services to seriously mental ill adults;
- Experience providing evidence based practices such as CBT, DBT, etc.;
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC); and/or
- Virginia clinical licensure or eligibility, as an LPC, LCP, LCSW, LMFT, or other related professional license.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Candidate must pass pre-employment background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Work Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional evening work is required.
The salary range above covers the Mental Health Therapist II position for a candidate who is hired without the appropriate Virginia clinical licensure, but who will earn licensure within one year of appointment. The salary range for Mental Health Therapist II (Licensed) is $61,609.60 - $94,078.00.