Scheduling System Specialist
- Bachelor’s degree in Management Information, Computer Science, Transportation Planning, Engineering, Statistics, or other related field, OR an Associate’s degree with additional two (2) years of relevant experience in database administration or operation analysis in transportation operation related field.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive experience in database administration or operation analysis in transportation operation related field;
- Experience performing schedule building using computerized scheduling application systems(s).
- Master’s degree in Management Information, Computer Science, Transportation Planning, Engineering, Statistics, or other related field.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Scheduling System Specialist serves as a technical resource for transit operating departments scheduling systems, and manages the development of information systems related to service schedules, daily operations, and other transit data. Incumbent will develop tools and programs to effectively create operating schedules, vehicle and manpower requirements, and jurisdictional cost allocation data.
- Coordinates and updates information systems, such as schedule database, operational analysis systems, vehicle and operator roster systems, revenue and fare analysis systems and other related systems which enable schedulers, analysts and planners to produce cost effective schedules and accurate management reports.
- Resolves problems related to system design and implementation by reviewing and recommending approval of functional and technical design documents, program enhancements and modifications of scheduling applications.
- Performs system analysis, design, implementation and support.
- Coordinates with other Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) offices to insure a functional scheduling and/or daily operation management systems environment. Transmits schedule changes electronically, in a timely manner, to ensure continuity of transit operations.
- Assists and provides training to scheduling staff and other field staff in applications, to ensure quality work is performed. Creates maintenance programs and procedures to effectively troubleshoot weekly production systems responsible for transit operation.
- Maintains scheduling system integrity and security. Manages multiple user security profiles for updating and developing operating schedules data in an interactive environment. Creates and maintains links between users for access to key information required for schedule development.
- Develops management reports indicating the distribution of pay hours and cost changes associated with any major schedule changes. Provides cost analysis support in the development of changes in work rules during new contract negotiations. Plays a key role in controlling operating expenses.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of scope of work, project proposals or requests for proposals to purchase, revise, or design and install systems.
- Stays abreast of state-of-the-art technology as it relates to system applications.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.