ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR, DATA SCIENCE
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR, DATA SCIENCE
The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) and the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (CSEE) is seeking adjunct instructors to teach several graduate courses on data science. These courses will be offered at UMBC's Catonsville or Shady Grove campus.
The MPS in Data Science prepares students for a career in data science. Students gain advanced skills in machine learning, data mining, multivariate statistics, and database processing. We seek instructors with professional experience in data science and analytics, who can teach at least one of the following courses:
- Machine Learning
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Fundamentals of Data Mining
- Data Science Tools and Platforms
- Natural Language Processing
- Big Data Visualization
- Data Science Ethics
Courses can be offered in hybrid and on-line modes as well. Instructors are responsible for all aspects of the course delivery.
- Master of Science degree in computer science or in a relevant field,
- Experienced in either programming languages such as Python and/or R, big data tools such as Hadoop, or data visualization tools such as Tableau,
- Strong interpersonal skills when relating to students,
- The ability to communicate effectively in writing, including conveying complex information and promoting in-depth engagement on course topics, and
- The ability to devote adequate time to courses, including responding to students and providing meaningful feedback in a timely manner.
- PhD in computer science or in a relevant field, and
- Teaching experience (in class and/or online) at college/graduate school level.
To apply: For best consideration, Email a cover letter and complete CV to Dr. Ergun Simsek, Data Science Graduate Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 30, 2019. CVs will be accepted until the positions are filled.
About the Program: The UMBC Graduate Data Science Program is an interdisciplinary professional graduate program offering both a ten-course Master in Professional Studies (MPS) degree in Data Science and a four-course Graduate Certificate in Data Science. For more information about the UMBC Graduate Data Science Program, please visit datascience.umbc.edu.
About UMBC: A selective, medium-sized public research university ranked by the Carnegie Foundation in the category of Research Universities with high research activity. U.S. News & World Report ranked UMBC the number one among “Up and Coming” national universities and “schools everyone should be watching.” UMBC also is fourth on their list of top national universities “where the faculty has an unusual commitment to undergraduate teaching.” UMBC is a two-time winner of the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring.
Our location: UMBC offers two locations: UMBC’s convenient, suburban campus is located just minutes off I-95 in Catonsville, MD between Baltimore and Washington DC, and less than 10 minutes from the BWI Airport. UMBC’s Shady Grove campus is located at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, MD. Both campuses are surrounded by one of the greatest concentrations of commercial, cultural and scientific activity in the nation.
UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is a recent recipient of a National Science Foundation ADVANCE award to promote hiring and advancement of women in science and engineering. We welcome applications from women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities.
Job Type: Part-time
Education: Master's (Required)
Work authorization: United States (Required)