UMBC’s Master’s of Professional Studies Program in Biotechnology is Seeking Instructors to Teach at the Shady Grove Campus
UMBC’s Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Biotechnology is currently recruiting three part-time, adjunct faculty to teach at the Universities at Shady Grove Campus in Rockville, MD. We are searching for instructors for three courses:
- Experimental Design - This course introduces the basic concepts which underlie the design of experiments. The course teaches how to select an appropriate experimental design for the problem at hand, set up, conduct and analyze the results of statistically designed experiments, and understand the statistical basis for these techniques.
- Industrial Bioprocessing - This course provides an in-depth study into the concepts of industrial biotechnology. Industrial biotechnology is defined as the exploitation of enzymes, microorganisms, and plants to produce energy, industrial chemicals and consumer goods. The course focuses on the interaction of chemical engineering, biochemistry, and microbiology for the production of commercial products.
- Capstone - This seminar-style, capstone course provides an in-depth exploration of how new products are commercially developed. Each student identifies a potential product within the biotechnology sector and prepares a research and commercialization plan designed to bring that technology to commercial fruition.
We invite highly qualified applicants to apply for consideration. The MPS: Biotechnology prepares early-career science professionals to fill management and leadership roles in biotech-related companies or agencies. The curriculum is intended to address changes in the needs of the biotechnology industry through experiential learning. By providing advanced instruction in the life sciences, in addition to coursework in regulatory affairs, legal/ethical issues, project management, and other functional areas of the biotechnology development process, students gain skills to further their career in a life science-oriented business.
- Flexible schedule – teaching that fits into your work and personal life
- Easy access location – The Universities at Shady Grove campus is conveniently located between Rockville and Gaithersburg in the heart of the life science community in Maryland
- Compensation – competitive pay
- Satisfaction – interaction with highly motivated, working professionals
A doctoral degree, equivalent or significant industry experience is required for instructors. Prior teaching experience is not required but candidates should have 6+ years of post-graduate professional or research experience (industrial or academic).
How to Apply
For best consideration, submit your current CV or resume and state of interest to Dr. Sheldon E. Broedel, Jr., Assistant Director and Adjunct Professor, via email at email@example.com by January 30, 2019. CVs will be accepted until positions are filed.
About UMBC: A selective, medium-sized public research university ranked by the Carnegie Foundation in the category of Research Universities with high research activity. U.S. News & World Report ranked UMBC number one among “Up and Coming” national universities and “schools everyone should be watching.” Additionally, UMBC is fourth on their list of top national universities “where the faculty has an unusual commitment to undergraduate teaching.” UMBC is a two-time winner of the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring.
Our location: UMBC offers two locations: UMBC’s convenient, suburban campus is located just minutes off I-95 in Catonsville, MD between Baltimore and Washington DC, and less than 10 minutes from the BWI Airport. UMBC’s Shady Grove campus is located at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, MD. UMBC-Shady Grove is located at The Universities at Shady Grove (USG), a regional higher education center that offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs from nine Maryland public universities on one convenient campus in Montgomery County. Programs at UMBC-Shady Grove help prepare students for rewarding careers in the region’s most high-demand fields. Students who successfully complete their coursework at UMBC-Shady Grove graduate with a degree from UMBC. Through on-campus services such as academic coaching, career advising, internship preparation, personal counseling, and leadership training, students leave UMBC-Shady Grove with the academic skills and real-world experiences needed for successful careers.
UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is a recent recipient of a National Science Foundation ADVANCE award to promote hiring and advancement of women in science and engineering. We welcome applications from women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities.