COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is seeking a Community Engagement Manager to join the Public Relations Unit of one of the top park agencies in the country. This position will lead community engagement efforts to ensure that the department is transparent, inclusive, accountable and that park and recreation programs and projects are well-received, successful and appreciated.
Specific duties include:
- Communicating accurate, timely, engaging, understandable, and concise information that reflects positively on Parks and Recreation projects, mission and vision;
- Presenting complex concepts in easy to understand formats;
- Facilitating meetings, outreach, logistics, online feedback and marketing;
- Communicating efforts to ensure successful public engagement that reaches targeted audiences effectively;
- Providing comprehensive professional public engagement and communication and public engagement services to DPR staff and internal customers so that their messages and programs are well-received, successful and appreciated;
- Collaborating with subject matter experts and department leadership to provide timely, accurate and effective responses on behalf of the Department of Parks and Recreation to the offices of the County Board and County Manager and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Officer; and
- Developing marketing strategies, outreach and inclusive messaging to reduce barriers to participation in DPR programs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication and strategic community engagement skills;
- The ability to ask effective questions, think creatively and use a comprehensive understanding of surveys and the technology that supports them to deliver staff data collection needs;
- Exceptional customer service;
- Awareness of community trends and interests;
- Strong time-management skills to balance workloads, meet deadlines and coordinate efforts across a large organization and the ability to work independently with minimal direction on some projects, while working as part of a team on others.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, business, communications, or public administration plus three years working in public engagement and outreach to include community engagement, analysis, survey development, writing, editing, graphic design, marketing, and other related areas.
Substitution: A Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for one year of experience. Additional experience may substitute for the education on a year-by-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to those with experience in one or more of the following:
- Understanding of project planning, design and construction;
- Experience with Photography to take pictures of projects as they are developed;
- Speaking at public meetings; and/or
- Utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook, Publisher and Excel, as well as with creating signs, posters, flyers and digital and print presentations.
Please attach an example of a meeting sign and/or presentation you developed for a project to your application.Additional Information
This is a 40 hour a week position with varying hours depending on meetings and engagements. Numerous weekends and evening events and meetings. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, however flexibility will be required to accommodate numerous evening and weekend work. The position is compatible with teleworking.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Must be able to lift to 50 pounds.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.