Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Because of its tax-related mission, the Office of Chief Counsel requires fingerprinting, tax verification, and a background security investigation as part of the pre-employment process.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
A typing proficiency of 40 words per minute with no more than three errors is required. Proof of an acceptable typing speed must be submitted with the application in one of the following ways: 1. SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, which shows Federal employment in a typing, office automation, or stenography position; 2. A current notice of test results (from an appropriate testing authority) based on a five minute typing test which includes words per minute and error rate; or 3. Self-certify by indicating typing speed on your application.
This position requires office automation skills. Some example of office automation software include electronic spreadsheets, database management, desktop publishing, and electronic calendar and mail.
GS-05: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: maintaining files and records, receiving and screening visitors, scheduling appointments; providing information or referring telephone calls to appropriate area.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: four years of education above high school.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
GS-06: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: establishing files or records, reviewing and editing written materials for content and grammatical accuracy, locating and summarizing conference arrangements, arranging meeting, and providing guidance to office and clerical staff. You must have a working knowledge of automation equipment with multiple software capabilities in order to create, manipulate, compute, report, retrieve, print and transmit data.
Experience may have been gained in the public, private sector, or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit is received for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, as well as indicate the number of hours worked per week on your resume.
If you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent.
An official transcript will be required if you are selected. A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework and flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, please certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Ability to receive visitors and callers effectively and professionally.
- Ability to screen and distribute incoming correspondence and to review outgoing correspondence for format, grammar and tone.
- Ability to establish and maintain files.
- variety of activities.
- Skill in the use of office automation equipment and software program related thereto.
Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories (Category A, Category B, or Category C) depending on your responses to the online questions regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to this online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview, such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must be assigned to the category B or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No