Public Relations and Marketing Specialist IV
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $60,000-$65,000; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications
George Mason University Auxiliary Enterprises is seeking a highly motivated, innovative and ambitious individual to join the team as Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position reports directly to the Director of Licensing, Marketing and Administration. Responsibilities include:
- Create and implement marketing initiatives to develop division-wide image and branding programs;
- Promote both departmental and contracted services programs, events, promotions and services;
- Develop, maintain and utilize a division-wide Web site to maximize advertising and marketing efforts, as well as provide support to specific departmental/contracted services Web sites;
- Develop creative print, electronic and all other types of media materials to provide the best in sales, promotions and marketing practices;
- Manage social media platforms, e-mail communication and Web-based advertising;
- Supervise the student marketing staff; and
- Coordinate events and outreach activities to highlight units and provide support for various campus outreach activities.
- Develops and implements long-term, comprehensive marketing and advertising plans for Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Creates and implements marketing campaigns and promotions that positively impact brand awareness and sales.
- Strategizes on outreach and student engagement, all towards communicating the mission and message of shopMason, the marketing program for Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Develops brand recognition for all units within Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Develops and distributes communication via newsletters and other forms of messaging electronically.
- Develops, writes and distributes informational/promotional materials.
- Develops creative print, e-mail, and Web-based advertising.
- Creates and monitors social media content, and develop social media campaigns.
- Supervises and trains student marketing staff.
- Plans, directs and schedules the day-to-day activities of the student marketing staff.
- Conducts regular meetings with assigned staff.
- Researches and generates benchmarking data with other universities and businesses to keep Auxiliary Enterprises competitive.
- Organizes, manages and executes special events and promotions with departments.
- Maintains a calendar of promotions and events offered by all units of Auxiliary Enterprises.
- Works with units and contracted partners to activate promotions and marketing campaigns.
- Monitors social media to gain insight on student experiences as it relates to our services and programs and communicate information appropriately.
- Coordinates information for media releases among functional areas.
- Promotes and practices the highest standards of professional ethics and interactions with others.
- Collaborates with all members of the Auxiliary Enterprisesâ€™ management team to market services effectively.
- Builds collaborative and mutually beneficial working relationships with people of different backgrounds;
- Demonstrates a common knowledge or understanding of cultural differences;
- Participates in student group meetings to help further the branding and benefits of shopMason.
- Conducts focus groups to better understand the needs and wants of students and how to best market to them.
- Develops and maintains an engaging and interactive divisional website as well as provide website management and support for units within the division.
- Creates content for websites and layout designs.
- Works professionally with both internal and external stakeholders in efforts to accomplish desired goals.
- Stays current with marketing trends and tools through reading trade magazines/articles and attending conferences, seminars, etc.
- Monitors trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
- Represents the department on university and division committees as assigned/approved by supervisor.
- Participates in departmental staff meetings.
- Performs various other duties as required.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree - preferably in IT, marketing, graphic design, communication or a related field - or an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience (demonstrated significant experience strongly desired; masterâ€™s degree is preferred);
- Significant relevant Web site development and design work experience with high up-time environment;
- Demonstrated professional experience in Wordpress Web site design and development;
- Strong communication (written and verbal), analytical and organization skills;
- Should have ability to manage a test or development environment;
- Demonstrated knowledge to effectively use Microsoft Office and graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign to produce effective marketing materials;
- Experience using social media while maintaining an engaging, interactive and creative presence;
- Must be able to grasp new concepts and stay current with technology; take and follow instructions while being a team player; and
- Must be able to direct and coordinate several unrelated projects simultaneously, efficiently, and effectively while maintaining deadlines.
- Knowledge of CMYK and PMS color grids;
- Working knowledge of videography and photography;
- Working knowledge of content management systems and UNIX/Apache;
- Working knowledge of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox Web browsers; Windows OS; and Macintosh OS;
- Knowledge of Web accessibility and usability, Internet trends, programming functionality;
- Working knowledge of any web analytics application (Google Analytics preferred); and
- Experience with responsive and user interface design highly desirable.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09654z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-01-07