Business Development Director (1256-679)
The New Ventures Team has as its primary objective to optimize the benefit that USP obtains from its strategic investments, via a combination of program development and business development (acquisitions, partnerships). This is a non-supervisory position located within the Ventures Team. The New Ventures team resides within the Strategy and Business development function.
The Business Development Director will be responsible for business development activities, with a focus on collaborating with stakeholders across the organization to identify and develop strategic partnerships and acquisitions, and to evaluate commercial terms for potential relationships and contracts USP may plan to enter. The Business Development Director will also work with the Program Units to assist them in their Partnering/M&A thinking and planning, and work with the New Ventures Team in collaborating with the Enterprise Strategy group and the Research and Innovation group in developing early stage ideas, particularly around potential business models.
Key partners for the New Ventures Group include the Enterprise Strategy group, which is responsible for defining overall strategy for the organization, the Research and Innovation group, which has responsibility for development of a portfolio of early stage ideas, the Program Units, via which USP conducts it’s a large part of its mission, and the Legal and Finance groups that have significant involvement in any business development activities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Partner with stakeholders within USP to develop, advance partnership/acquisition agendas:
- Work with PUTs, functions, leadership to identify and develop partnership and acquisition opportunities. Maintain and advance portfolio of potential opportunities
- Identify, develop external relationships of potential value to USP:
- Develop a portfolio of relationships that informs our thinking and forms a preliminary target list as needed
- Business models definition, business evaluation of potential ideas.
- Support teams in defining business models, and business aspects of selected ideas
- Assess, evaluate contracts, agreements, and partnerships.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MBA or equivalent (e.g., worked at a top tier consulting company for at least 3 years)
- At least BS degree in Chemistry, Chemical /Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or exposure to these areas (e.g., in consulting, business development, finance)
- At least 7 years post-BS experience in Pharma or Biopharma, Chemicals or Materials, or Biological Sciences
- Experience of business development or start-up environment for at least 3 years
- MS/PhD in Biological, Chemical or Engineering field
- Strong inclination and ability to engage multiple groups and knit together initiatives, obtain support, and advance an agenda to a successful conclusion
- Entrepreneurial track record, enjoys dealing with new, unfamiliar problems
- Evidence of learning new areas quickly (has successfully learned and applied learning in new areas multiple times)
- Adept at working in a matrix organization
- Start-up experience including definition of opportunity and associated value proposition, preferably in Pharma/Biopharma/Chemicals/Materials/Med Devices
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular