Assistant, Education and Workplace Justice Support
The National Women’s Law Center seeks an Assistant to provide administrative and occasional program support to the Education & Workplace Justice program. The Education & Workplace Justice program conducts multi-faceted advocacy to eliminate and prevent barriers to the success of women and girls in school and to end exploitive, abusive and discriminatory practices faced by women at work.
National Women's Law Center: Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
The Assistant is an integral member of the Education & Workplace Justice team, providing critical administrative and systems support to this team. This position supports the team’s programmatic work, which addresses a wide range of issues including fair work scheduling, pregnancy accommodations, equal pay, the minimum wage, sexual harassment, school discipline, and protecting students’ rights to be free from discrimination. In addition, this position plays a coordinating role Center-wide in creating, refining, and implementing efficient systems and processes.
- Participating in creating, refining, and implementing administrative systems across program teams to increase efficiencies and coordinating staff implementation of these processes.
- Assisting with conference, event, and meeting organization, preparation, and execution.
- Creating/editing correspondence and other documents and preparing documents for distribution, including formatting fact sheets and flyers in InDesign.
- Arranging travel and preparing expense reports.
- Maintaining files and databases.
- Posting and formatting content on the NWLC website using WordPress.
- Managing systems for state legislative tracking on education and workplace issues.
- Conducting web-based, legislative, and other research on workplace and education issues and drafting accompanying materials, such as blog posts for NWLC’s website.
- Providing litigation support, including formatting, managing sign-ons for, and filing amicus briefs.
- As needed: providing other administrative, program, and organization-wide support (e.g. limited back-up receptionist).
Experience and Qualifications
Candidate should have:
- A college degree or at least two years’ college and two years related work experience.
- Strong computer skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including experience scheduling meetings in Outlook and managing spreadsheets in Excel.
- Strong office skills including attention to detail, proofreading, and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently.
- Flexibility, good judgment and the ability to handle multiple, concurrent tasks in an effective manner.
- A commitment to the work of the Center, including workplace justice for women, and educational equity for women and girls, especially girls of color.
- Demonstrated commitment to work with and/or for low-income communities, communities of color, and/or LGBTQ communities.
- Experience with InDesign and WordPress.
First year salary $44,000.
If you are interested in joining the NWLC team, submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and three supervisory references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to email@example.com and include position title “Assistant E&WJ” in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women's Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
Apply for Assistant, Education and Workplace Justice Support
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly