Attorney Advisor (Law Librarian)
Occasional travel - Travel is based on the needs of the office.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
To be eligible for appointment to this position, the new hire must be cleared to come on board once the results of the fingerprint check, review of the OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and the candidate’s Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (eQIP) entries have been reviewed and determined to be satisfactory. This position requires a favorable credit check as part of the background investigation.
Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement.If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
Relocation expenses are not authorized
This is a bargaining unit designated position
This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND FINGERPRINT CHECK: If selected you must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance and a credit report inquiry.
Direct Deposit - Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
May be subject to satisfactory completion of a two year probationary or trial period
This position is subject to limited telework only by managerial approval and subject to change at any time from the Agency or Department
Experience using various print and on-line legal research databases. Skills in conducting legal research to address difficult legal and factual questions. Have the knowledge and ability to evaluate new legal resources. Experience with coordinating in-house training while utilizing your expertise within the organization, as well as, evaluating and securing commercial legal training.
GS-14: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to the (GS-13) level in the Federal service or equivalent responsibility in the private sector/pay systems that has equipped me with the particular competencies to successfully perform as an Position Title. Examples of such experience include:
Note: This experience must be demonstrated on your resume/supporting documents.
Education: Successful completion of a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD) (Law School transcript required)
Bar Membership: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
It is your responsibility to provide adequate proof that you meet the above requirements (education and bar membership). Inadequate or illegible information could result in non-qualification and loss of consideration.
- If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed. Please Note: Applicants must have 52 weeks of time-in-grade at the next lower grade level (or its equivalent) in order to move to the next higher grade level.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Attorney positions are in the excepted service. There is no formal rating system for applying veterans′ preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service.
However, if you are eligible for veterans′ preference, you are encouraged to include that information in your application along with the supporting documentation, (e.g., SF-15, DD-214, letter from the VA documeting disability, or other supporting documentation). Please visit OPM's Vet Guide for more information.
You will be evaluated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by the education, experience, academic record and training you described in your application package.
Your application package must include: a cover letter, resume, proof of Bar Membership and other supporting documentation, law school transcript, as well as a narrative showing you possess the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies listed below:
- Knowledge of planning, coordination, and execution of business functions, resource allocation, and production.
- Knowledge of state and Federal administrative laws, including procedures, regulations, guidelines, and precedents related to case preparation and settlements.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, legal practices and documents, Government regulations, Executive orders, agency rules, Government organization and functions, and the democratic political process.
- Knowledge of print and online legal research tools.
- Helps others learn; identifies training needs; and provides constructive reinforcement.
- Organizes work, sets priorities, and determines resource requirements; determines short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization to accomplish goals; monitors progress and evaluates outcomes.
- Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from Federal service.
To view the application form, visit: https://sec.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=BF6E28F6-9537-43C0-BE73-A99800B5636A Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No