Vice President, Strategic Marketing and Program Operations - Chemical Medicines (1248-679)
The Vice President of Chemical Medicines / small molecule generics in Global Strategic Marketing and Program Operations (Global SMPO) will report directly to the Sen. Vice President of Global SMPO and play a leading role in advancing USP’s mission. The V.P. of SMPO - Chemical Medicines will be responsible, with the V.P. Science - Chemical Medicines, for leading the continued development of USP’s global strategy in the Chemical Medicines space, be a public voice for Chemical Medicines and oversee the flawless execution of USP’s strategy for Chemical Medicines around the world. The successful candidate will also possess an entrepreneurial mindset, drive and have a global vision for the future of Chemical Medicines and generic small molecule medicines at USP.
Safeguarding the quality of medication is fundamental to protecting the public’s health, especially as ingredients and products come from all over the world. Manufacturers must ensure the purity and quality of the medicine that make their way to patients. USP’s quality standards serve as the foundation for a robust safety network that assists manufacturers by increasing predictability and reliability and preserving the integrity of the global supply chain. USP reference standards are used in the manufacturing of medicines which impact the lives of approximately 2 billion people around the world.
This individual will have the responsibility of understanding the complex global Chemical Medicines / generics landscape from a customer, regulatory, and policy point of view. The person assuming this role will work closely with the V.P. Science - Chemical Medicines a high premium will be placed on the ability to lead collaborative efforts necessary to increase the overall awareness of USP among key customers and stakeholders. This individual will play an integral role with the V.P. Science – Chemical Medicines in communicating (both internally and externally) the value and positive impact that USP standards have in improving global public health. In addition, this role will also work closely with the V.P. of Research and Innovation as well as members of our Strategy and Business Development function to create a long-term strategy to ensure the competitiveness & sustainability of USP in this space.Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads all global strategic marketing efforts for Chemical Medicine / Small Molecule Generics
- Monitors customer insights and understands customer needs and desires
- Ensures all CM USP offerings are tailored to the needs of the customer
- Accountable for impact & revenue / investment expectations for the CM Program Unit
- Makes key decisions, and oversees the execution of program operations for CM
- Co-leads Program Unit with Science Head; aligns on key strategies and resource prioritization, and compromises to find fair trade-offs between competing interests if necessary
- Develops and conducts customer and product analyses to optimize impact and sustainability
- Identifies and recommends appropriate actions to improve customer and product impact and sustainability
- Ensures that customer and product development within program area is strategically focused
- Identifies opportunities to capture value from improved pricing or other initiatives – works with Director of Pricing Strategy
- Leads budget planning and revenue forecasting for CM Program Unit
- Collaborates as a member of the Global Marketing Leadership team, shares and implements best practices to improve program operations
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field or appropriate scientific area.
- Minimum of 12 years of previous business management, sales, strategic marketing, team leadership, and/or market research experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of senior level, strategic experience leading a business function.
- Experience includes:
- Establishing and implementing strategy for a key function;
- championing key organization-wide initiatives;
- and providing strategic direction to directors and managers in various groups and areas.
- Master’s degree preferred in either business or science
- Combined education in science and business highly desired
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to challenge the status quo
- The ability to analyze and interpret financial statements, survey results, market insights, and other data
- Effective at influencing peers
- Effective at pulling in resources and collaborating across the organization (across reporting structures)
- Flexible; willing to collaborate and compromise to reach attainable solutions, and incorporates lessons learned
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Accountability and ownership of work
- Familiar with techniques of market research (i.e., focus groups, interviews, questionnaires, surveys, polls, Internet search) and good finance practices
- Entrepreneurial mindset and drive
Yes. Director and Manager level
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular