Director, 2-1-1 National Initiatives
United Way Worldwide is committed to supporting and improving access to the vital services provided by 2-1-1s across the United States. The Director, 2-1-1 National Initiatives will be responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership for national programs and initiatives undertaken by and in support of the 2-1-1 network.
The emphasis for this position will be to drive revenue growth and service enhancement for the 2-1-1 network by designing and implementing initiatives that engage donors and support innovation in 2-1-1 services. The Director will be responsible for obtaining and leading network-wide execution of national contracts and projects in collaboration with strategic partners. The Director will work closely and collaborate with other members of the United Way Worldwide Impact and Investor Relations teams as well as 2-1-1 leaders across the network. The Director will also work closely with the Director of 2-1-1 Network Performance to support increased capacity and quality across the 2-1-1 network.
Leveraging program design and implementation expertise, the Director will partner with network leaders to identify and scale opportunities for increased brand awareness and financial support for 2-1-1. The director will provide leadership and high-quality technical assistance and support to the 2-1-1 network, particularly around donor engagement, product development, and program execution, and will convene communities of practice to support these goals and drive progress in accomplishing both national and local growth.
This program is a 12-month grant-funded position with the opportunity to renew if additional funds are secured.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Identify and execute on national strategies to generate revenue and increase brand recognition throughout the 2-1-1 network to drive growth
- Design and lead execution of network-wide initiatives to engage donors and drive impact through 2-1-1 services in local communities
- Design and lead strategy for identifying, propagating, and scaling best practices in program development and donor engagement
- Lead efforts to create and expand a library of compelling client, impact, and data stories that illustrate the role and value of 2-1-1 in communities and provide guidance and support to local United Way and 2-1-1 agencies to replicate
- Cultivate partnerships with leaders of local United Ways and 2-1-1s nationwide and serve as a primary point of contact at UWW
- Lead efforts to obtain and deliver on national programs funded by donors, achieving superior results while engaging and supporting individual 2-1-1 agencies
- Collaborate with 2-1-1 team to support efforts to reach 100% coverage for 2-1-1 across the United States
- Work to increase United Way Worldwide and the United Way and 2-1-1 Networks’ visibility, reputation, and position as a critical partner to advance engagement efforts that lead to positive community change. Represent UWW as a speaker at national and other meetings and events, as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with Impact Team staff leading key initiatives and, as needed, work with staff in Marketing and Communications, Network Engagement and Performance, Digital Services, Labor, and Investor Relations to ensure community engagement initiatives have functional area support and are a core part of the work across the organization.
Back up other team members as required.
Some domestic travel required.
Minimum requirements include:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree desired but not required
- At least five to seven years of relevant experience, preferably in the non-profit and human services sector
- At least three to five years of progressive leadership experience with at least two years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience in program design and management, including experience with program pilots, training development, and developing sustainable and scalable models for expansion.
- Experience managing $1M+ budget
- Proven ability to effectively manage cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated relationship management expertise, including the ability to build internal and external partnerships, garnering stakeholder support, and building consensus
- Experience representing a national organization at conferences, events, and to the media
- Demonstrated ability to lead through a position of influence. Collaborative leadership style and the ability to work collaboratively with a small professional staff. Highly developed facilitation, coaching and engagement skills.
- Strong project management skills and ability to drive multiple high-profile projects forward, effectively leveraging of all resources to drive results. Proven ability to make smart trade-offs and to prioritize actions. Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with minimal outside direction, while constantly advancing long term goals.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with key funders (public, corporate and philanthropic), influencers and stakeholders both internal and external to the United Way network. Experience is desired with community-based organizations, national non-profits, the business community, and policy advocacy groups.
- Ability to work and lead both as a member of a team and autonomously with minimal supervision and to excel in an entrepreneurial, self-starting and fast paced environment
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.