VICTIM WITNESS PROGRAM ASSISTANT
Arlington County's Commonwealth's Attorney's Office has an opening for a full-time grant funded Victim Witness Program Assistant to provide administrative support to the program staff and informational support and guidance to clients.
Specific duties include:
- Providing limited direct support to victims of misdemeanor crimes, including contacting victims to explain legal and courtroom procedures, accompanying victims to court, assisting in filing claims with the Virginia Crime Victims Fund, and providing pertinent information on social service agencies and programs;
- Using the police department's database to obtain and review police reports to assist with preparing cases for trial;
- Tracking cases and performing routine data entry using a case management system;
- Participating in community outreach events; and
- Performing administrative functions such as preparing court dockets, composing correspondence and narrative reports.
- Completion of a high school diploma or GED;
- Completion of a paralegal certificate program recognized by the American Bar Association; and
- One year of experience working in a criminal justice or court system environment.
Substitution: Additional experience in a legal office performing paralegal tasks may be substituted for the paralegal program requirement.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates who have the following experience:
- Case and docket management;
- Working in a fast-paced professional environment;
- Providing direct client informational support in a legal, court, human services or related environment;
- Using Prosecutor by Karpel or similar case management software;
- Using Microsoft Office Word and Outlook; and/or
- Bilingual ability in English/Spanish.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Position is funded by a VA Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) grant. The salary is set at $48,865 (non-negotiable).
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.