PUBLIC SERVICE AIDE I
Arlington County's Police Department is seeking Public Service Aides to enforce parking regulations and provide vehicle and pedestrian traffic control at incidents and to serve as active contributors to the Police Department's mission of reducing crime and improving the quality of life by creating an environment where all people may live safely and without fear.
The Public Service Aide is a non-sworn, uniformed position within the Police Department and is also responsible for supporting special events and school crossings, and providing information and assistance to members of the public. Public Service Aides are highly visible representatives of County Government and the Police Department and promote safety, security, and competence through their active presence in the community.
- Patrolling assigned areas within the County to investigate or identify parking violations;
- Issuing electronic parking tickets accurately for vehicles violating parking laws and preparing notices for vehicles violating County license plate ordinances;
- Coordinating the impounding of vehicles, and installing and removing parking boots on cars that are in violation of parking laws;
- Deploying traffic cones along roadways, providing traffic control and security assistance at events and accidents, and directing traffic at school crossings;
- Placing portable traffic signs in designated areas and tracking vehicles parked in temporary No Parking zones prior to posting of signage;
- Reporting traffic hazards or violators to Police Department officers for further assistance; and
- Assisting the public by providing directions and general information while on patrol.
Minimum: High school diploma or GED
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Interacting and with the public in stressful or confrontational situations and deescalating situations where you are interacting with confrontational individuals; and/or
- Explaining rules and procedures.
Public Service Aides conduct their work in an environment that involves walking several miles per day for extended periods of time while outdoors in all types of weather to include heavy rain, extreme heat and extreme cold and frequently operate motor vehicles, and bicycles. Other physical aspects of the position include bending over and lifting parking boots that weigh up to 35 pounds, and carrying, lifting, and loading stacks of traffic cones and barricades that weigh up to 40 pounds per stack from beds of pick-up trucks and rapidly deploying them along the roadway.
A background check will be conducted on all candidates who are finalists for the position. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit check and may require signing a release authorizing the County to obtain this information. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and criminal history. Due to the sensitive nature of this position, candidates receiving consideration will be required to undergo a pre-employment polygraph examination and a character/background investigation conducted by the Police Department.
Candidates must have the ability to obtain Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) State Operator Certification.
The applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and criminal history.
Work hours: Specific work hours vary and is determined at the time of hire. Position requires shift work and working weekends, evenings, holidays, special events, and scheduled and unscheduled overtime.
The salary range listed in this the announcement is for Public Service Aide I. New employees are hired at the Public Service Aide I classification. With satisfactory performance, including attaining a pre-determined skill level, employees are eligible for consideration for movement from the Public Service Aide I to the Public Service Aide II class at 12 months after hire. The salary range for the two levels are as follows:
- Public Service Aide I: $35,776.00 - $54,683.20
- Public Service Aide II: $39,728.00 - $60,673.60
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.