NETWORK SERVICES DIRECTOR
Arlington County Government is hiring a Network Services Director to lead and develop solutions that will leverage the County's robust broadband infrastructure and provide for enhanced community services. This position reports to the Technology Infrastructure and Managed Services Division Chief and is responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, and significant technical contributions to Development and Operations (DevOps) Agile teams and contractors supplying design/architecture, installation, maintenance, and operation of the County's data, voice and video Network Services and Infrastructure.
Our technology infrastructure is a hybrid environment with services supporting multiple lines of business throughout the County on a 24/7 basis through both premised and cloud-based resources. This unique infrastructure played a significant role in Arlington being recognized for a third straight year as the #1 digital County in the nation for its best technology practices in the areas of open government, transparency, citizen engagement, cyber security and operations. This senior manager is responsible for the ownership and management of the enterprise operation, engineering, life cycle and design of Arlington County's Network Services to include the following:
- An IP-based Network that interconnects County facilities and provides Voice, Video and Data Services to approximately 4200 full time, part time, and temporary staff;
- A wireless 802.x network consisting of 200+ WAPs;
- Internet Connections - redundant broadband connections;
- Public facing wireless hot spot communications at government facilities and community centers;
- "ConnectArlington" a government owned and operated fiber-optic, high-speed, dedicated network that links County and Arlington Public Schools' buildings, ensuring that the government, schools, and community will benefit as demand for digital services continually increases. This network includes 69 miles of single mode fiber:
- 144 strands of dark fiber designed to connect all County Government and School facilities and provide for the primary carriage of 911 radio communications;
- 864 strands of excess dark fiber intended to inspire economic development and provide 'Middle Mile' connectivity for Business Government and Other Institutional needs;
- Serving as a strategic partner in the assembly of response to emergencies that may arise requiring technology services;
- Providing review and guidance on the documentation of standards for commercial, government and public schools construction;
- Ensuring the highest quality system performance and reliability;
- Developing strategies, defining program objectives and business outcomes, and resource provisioning plans;
- Leading engineering management for the Public Safety Radio Network and the Integration of interjurisdictional 911 ECC Communications Services;
- Collaborating with Joint Base Myer Henderson Hall, Virginia Tech, University of Maryland Mid Atlantic Crossroads, Marymount University, and neighboring jurisdictions that constitute the National Capital Region Council of Governments on technology related projects; and
- Working with Arlington's Public Safety Offices for the provision of services in support of events including the Presidential Inauguration, the Marine Corps Marathon, Fourth of July Celebration, and 9/11 activities.
MINIMUM: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or a related area plus extensive experience in the following areas:
- Managing and planning data, voice, and video network services in a complex environment of similar size;
- Working, collaborating and establishing credibility and relationships with senior technology leadership, colleagues and customers; and
- Supervising, coaching and mentoring information technology professionals.
DESIRABLES: Preference may be given to candidates who have public sector work experience in one or more of the following:
- Creating and managing cloud based solutions to include cloud exchange connectivity, datacenter management, and financial modeling;
- Managing DevOps Agile teams and Fiber Optic Networks;
- Developing Distributed Antenna Systems;
- Designing and managing Public Safety Radio Systems;
- Configuring cloud-based application architectures and security; and/or
- Negotiating and managing vendor contracts and agreements with end users, service providers and regulatory agencies.
A letter of interest and a resume are part of the application process. Please attach a cover letter and resume that highlights the experience you feel qualifies you for the position addressing how your background reflects the qualification requirements for the position. Identify your most significant accomplishments.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection (or application) process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate upon hire and annually thereafter.
Note: This recruitment is open until the position is filled with a preferred filing date of November 29, 2018. Applications submitted by this date will receive first consideration. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Qualified applicants in this first group will be referred to the hiring manager and interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. Applications received after November 29, 2018 may be considered if a hire is not made from applicants received by the preferred filing date. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when enough qualified applications have been received.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements. Starting pay within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Pay potential will be based on performance and development.