Vice President, Digital Marketing & Communications
Company Summary: The Foundation Fighting Blindness has one clear objective: accelerating therapeutic advances for the treatments and cures of rare genetic diseases of the retina, including retinitis pigmentosa, macular degeneration, Usher syndrome, Stargardt disease and related conditions. These diseases, which affect more than 10 million Americans and millions more throughout the world, often lead to severe vision loss or complete blindness.
Working with preeminent scientists, the FFB has funded breakthroughs in gene therapy, stem cells and bionic retinas, providing a historic opportunity for a promising new era in human clinical trials. We are the largest non-governmental source of research funds for inherited retinal degenerative diseases. Over the past four decades, FFB has raised more than $750 million to fund research studies in both academic and industry labs worldwide.
We are actively recruiting a Vice President, Digital Marketing & Communications, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer. This individual will be responsible for increasing public and industry awareness of the Foundation, updates related to news and announcements, and fundraising through non-personal channels.
Specifically the position will direct and manage all external communication including marketing, media, strategic messaging, social media and the web site. The position also oversees national public health education initiatives.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Formulate, execute, and sustain a strategic marketing plan, and develop/implement annual marketing tactics to drive awareness, and revenue for the Foundation
- Responsible for the development of content, and distribution for tactics to maximize exposure and impact
- Lead public/constituent engagement via social media platforms, search engine campaigns, online ads, and other promotional marketing and outreach
- Provide recommendations to CEO, COO, Executive leadership and Department Directors on fundraising and communication opportunities
- Oversee the writing of speeches and testimony for board members, trustees, CEO, and event honorees and speakers etc.
- Manage and direct the media relations program, including relationships with outside contractors
- Create campaigns that spotlight Foundation research initiatives and other programs in collaboration with Science and other departments
- Lead membership initiatives to facilitate implementation of monthly membership campaigns through web, email, social media and on the web to meet revenue expectations for the department
- Responsible for the comprehensive and successful preparation of the Annual Report
- Oversee the Information and Referral function
- Responsible for leadership, motivation and strategy of staff to attain their goals and objectives
- Manage and oversee department budget
- Attend research meetings to keep abreast of recent research developments
- Mentor team members and collaborate closely with other departments
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field
- 10+ years’ experience in nonprofit or healthcare marketing and communications, fundraising and experience managing vendors
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical science information into lay terminology
- Must be fully proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of databases
- Previous experience managing and motivating staff
- Ability to communicate in a consistent, proactive and inclusive manner and work in a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Experience building consensus and long-term relationships
- Effectively interact with committees, donors, and members of the board of directors
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills
- High professional standards with the ability to translate broad goals into achievable steps
- A team player with an ability to work independently required
- Some overnight/weekend travel required
Please send a resume with cover letter in confidence to Patricia Dudley, Chief Human Resources Officer. We offer an excellent salary and benefits, as well as a terrific team to work with! FFB is an equal opportunity employer