Full-Time Experienced OR Licensed Veterinary Technician
7 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for an LVT or a very experienced technician to join our small and growing family. We are a small animal veterinary hospital in Fairfax, Virginia and we are a close family! We are very team oriented and everyone helps each other. We are really looking for an employee that wants to be a part of a smaller, less stressful veterinary environment where we practice great, quality medicine. We do not have boarding or grooming at our practice, so any pets that are there are hospitalized or are there for exams (think rarely barking dogs all day!). We offer great benefits (health, dental 401k) and have a great work life balance (we close at 6pm during the week!). The job will likely include working on average two Saturdays a month. We all rotate Saturday shifts. Our technicians have a lot of interactions with our clients so must have great customer service and be friendly :)
Must have at least 3 years of experience in small animal medicine. Please do not apply if you do not meet this as you will not be considered.
Must be strong and experienced in surgery. Collects specimens and performs routine laboratory procedures and tests in hematology, biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, and serology to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems. Dispenses and administer medications, vaccines, serums and treatments as prescribed by veterinarians. Places IV catheters. Assists in surgeries.
Please include a little about yourself and why you think you would be the perfect fit for us!
The veterinary technician is the veterinarian’s primary medical support. They will perform various medical tests and treat and diagnose medical conditions and diseases in animals. They assist the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases and during procedures or surgery. They relieve veterinarians of technical work and administrative detail. They have a very significant role in communicating with and educating, under the direction of the veterinarian, clients about their pets.
- Give prescribed medications, assist in performing treatments, diagnostics, and monitoring
- Administer IV fluids, cleaning, feeding, and walking patients as needed
- Anesthesia induction, maintenance, monitoring, and recovery of patients
- Perform laboratory tests such as urinalysis, blood counts, cytologies
- Obtain and record patient case histories
- Collect, prepare, and/or submit requested tests and perform laboratory procedures
- Provide specialized nursing care
- Prepare animals, instruments, and equipment for surgery to include cleaning and sterilizing all surgical instruments and equipment
- Provide patient dental care, ultrasonic cleaning and polishing
- Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures
- Taking x-rays
- Stock and maintain medicines and supplies
- Preparing invoices, discharging instructions, and client information packs
- Give owners update and provide follow up for certain hospital patients
- Client education
- Staff Training
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Veterinary Technician Certification (CVT) or be a Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) Required
- Minimum 3 years of experience as technician or assistant
Skills and Knowledge
- Know the range of services the practice provides and the species it treats
- Follow OSHA standards
- Use proper medical terminology when speaking and writing
- Be familiar with infectious diseases, including their prevention and steps to reduce or eliminate transmission
- Motivation, excellent communication skills, willingness to learn, and team-oriented spirit
- Work requires lifting and carrying animals weighing up to 150 pounds(will be assisted by other staff members and electric lift table when lifting heavy animals)
- Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, and animal feces
- May be exposed to bites, scratches, contagious diseases and animal wastes
- Hazards associated with aggressive patients, infected animals, and controlled substances
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
Apply for Full-Time Experienced OR Licensed Veterinary Technician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly