Manager, Internal Communications (1246-679)
The Communications Manager will be responsible for managing the development of strategic and tactical communications plans, including researching, writing, reviewing, and editing communications materials, reports, print and digital content for internal USP audiences under tight and recurring deadlines. You'll partner closely with USP's leaders to design targeted approaches aligned to our organizational priorities. You will need to help distill complex topics into compelling messages, build and manage creative campaigns, design clear presentations and written content, and advise the leadership team on effective communications strategies. The Communications Manager must build effective relationships across all USP Divisions and Global Sites. The successful candidate will be an experienced writer, an excellent collaborator and superb communicator.
SEO is responsible for building and maintaining high levels of staff engagement and community across USP, delivering internal communications to all global USP staff and helping to instill effective and consistent approaches to change management.Roles and Responsibilities
- Builds vision and strategic approach for communications to staff across USP in ways that align with a positive staff experience and assists leaders in ensuring staff understand organizational direction and priorities
- Develops and executes strategic communications plan that includes messaging on strategic priorities across USP to leaders and staff.
- Supports Global HR in aligning messages with the People Strategy and high performance workplace culture.
- Provides proactive editorial content planning, including an editorial calendar, to ensure message continuity and placement of all relevant content needed by leaders and staff
- Provide strategic communications consultation to executives and managers to develop strategic messages and build out appropriate approaches to communicate key initiatives and campaigns
- Provide communications planning and execution support for change initiatives.
- Builds and delivers leadership communications, including development of leader talking points, toolkits or templates as needed.
- Manages tactical communication plans and ensures that all key deliverables are met.
- Collaborates with Global Communications to ensure relevant external communications information is relayed to staff appropriately and timely.
- Assesses information needed for story and copy development. Conducts informational interviews with necessary personnel in the development of stories and content.
- Oversees the production of newsletter articles, staff email messages, blogs, intranet pages, story pitches, blog entries, internal social media posts, and other materials for distribution to global USP staff.
- Defines and ensures best practices for strategic communications.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Cultivates and enhances relationships with relevant leaders, program managers and other key stakeholders and teams across the organization for content and story creation and development.
- Facilitates internal communications network of contributors from across USP to ensure visibility and coordination of initiatives and activities across the organization.
- Oversees the development of print and digital materials for internal audiences (newsletters, emails, posters, brochures, fact sheets, print and electronic content, scripts, speeches, presentations, and corporate communications pieces) under tight, recurring deadlines.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in English, Communications, Journalism or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of writing, journalism, or communications experience, preferably providing strategic and/or internal communications.
- Experience in strategic communications planning and execution.
- Consultative and collaboration skills to effectively partner with internal customers
- Executive presence and political savvy to work with executives and leaders across the organization.
- Proven aptitude for building relationships, credibility and trust with internal stakeholders, and creating a harmonious work environment
- Strong interpersonal and perspective-taking skills required.
- Extensive knowledge of researching, writing, editing and reviewing communications for internal audiences.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent writing, conceptual and creative flare.
- Individual must possess the ability to influence without direct authority
- Solution-oriented and innovative; can identify creative options that address multiple stakeholders’ needs
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft software (word processing, spreadsheets, and databases)
- Experience managing or leading teams, and mentoring others.
- Manages Communications and Engagement Specialist position
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular