High School Principal
3 days left
- Full Time
Washington International School seeks a dynamic, visionary, educational leader for the Upper School to start in July 2019.
Reporting to the Associate Head of School, the Upper School Principal is a member of the senior leadership team and is responsible for the successful implementation of the Upper School academic program, overseeing the social and emotional support of students, and the hiring and retention of qualified instructional and support staff. Working closely with the two other Upper School leaders—Assistant Principal for Grades 9-10 and Assistant Principal for the IB Diploma Program—the Principal is accountable for fostering and managing the implementation of the mission, core values, and core beliefs in all aspects of the Upper School program.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Upper School Principal is a 12-month position, with key responsibilities outlined below. The Associate Head of School or Head of School may assign additional duties in support of School objectives.
- Maintain alignment between all Upper School activities and the School’s mission, core values, and core beliefs.
- Act as the Upper School educational leader by ensuring faculty, staff, and students thrive in a safe environment that provides meaningful learning opportunities.
- Develop plans and programs to meet the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the school community.
- Manage the Upper School’s day-to-day operation and be a visible presence in all areas. This includes ensuring faculty/staff adhere to school policies; maintaining the Upper School budget; and ensuring student academic and attendance records are complete and accurate.
- In conjunction with the Middle School Principal, oversee and maintain the Grades 6-12 master schedule and shared human resources and facilities.
- Oversee assessment and reporting methods to document student achievement.
- Direct department chairs and faculty committees and conduct regular meetings to deal with routine school matters and to stimulate the exchange of ideas regarding issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern.
- Oversee the appraisal system and promote faculty/staff professional development. In cooperation with the Upper School Assistant Principals, evaluate faculty performance through regular observation in classrooms.
- Establish guidelines for proper student conduct and dress.
- Engage with Upper School parents—through regular division meetings and one-on-one meetings/communication—in support of student achievement and mental/physical wellness.
- Ensure all Upper School constituencies are well informed about expectations, opportunities, programs, and events.
- Oversee the Assistant Principal for IB DP in meeting the requirements and standards for delivering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
- Oversee the Assistant Principal for Grades 9-10 in developing/managing the Upper School schedule and co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, including school assemblies and programs.
- Ensure the clear vertical and horizontal articulation of the curriculum within the division and also in cooperation with the Middle and Primary School divisions.
- Support the Assistant Principals, when necessary, with student discipline issues.
- Directly supervise and mentor the Upper School Assistant Principals, the University Counselors, the Upper School Counselor and the Upper School Learning Specialist.
- In cooperation with the Middle School Principal, supervise and mentor the Athletics Director and the Tregaron Director of Teaching and Learning.
- In cooperation with the Associate Head of School, ensure compliance with government/agency legal requirements and regulations, and maintain educational standards established by state and accrediting organizations.
- Assist in testing, interviewing, and evaluating applicants for enrollment.
- Cooperate with the Associate Head and the Director of Human Resources, and other colleagues as needed, to oversee the recruitment, hiring, retention, and assignment of the Upper School faculty and staff.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- Previous administrative/supervisory experience (at least five years) at an IB or international school
- Visionary, action-oriented leadership and the ability to inspire and empower others
- Ability to evaluate efficacy of professional development
- Ability to lead staff toward instructional improvement and conduct relevant training
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with school stakeholders
- Cultural fluency derived from international experience
- Significant understanding/hands-on knowledge of the IB Diploma Program
- Teaching experience, preferably in Grades 9-12
- Knowledge of Harvard’s Project Zero
- Familiarity with current educational pedagogy and research
- Experience working effectively with a diverse parent body who have high expectations for their children and the School
- Passion for WIS’s mission
- Strong communication skills, a sense of humor, humility, and empathy
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Fluency in a language in addition to English would be an asset, but is not required
- Master’s degree in education and educational administration is preferred
Apply for High School Principal
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly