Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Specialist
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a Staff Accountant - Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable to join the Finance team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Staff Accountant performs accounting and clerical tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable & receivable transactions.
- Reviews invoices for completeness and accuracy against POs, requisitions, and contractual agreements. Contacts vendors as needed to clarify invoices and accounts.
- Processes voucher entries and maintain the list of vendors in Dynamics SL. Checks against OFAC & EPLS list for new vendors. Runs the check against the system on all vendors annually.
- Prints all checks and mails them out to vendors by the due dates.
- Inputs all electronic payments (ACHs & Wires) to vendors, employees & field offices through established online banking system. Maintains current payment templates.
- Processes all automatically disbursed electronic funds by entering the voucher, applying the manual check and maintaining the files.
- Reviews and processes expense reports, cash advances, & corporate AMEX reconciliations via Concur system, and posts those transactions on Dynamics SL.
- Makes bank deposits for already logged in checks & cash.
- Adheres to A/P monthly closing procedures.
- Reconciles month end A/P subsidiary ledger to GL control account(s).
- Reconciles specific balance sheet accounts related to A/P including AP & Vendor aging reports.
- Maintains GL journal entry files.
- Performs reclassification entries as needed.
- Prints, reviews, and files month-end closing reports as required.
1. Ensures adequate cash flow in all Global Communities headquarters bank accounts.
- Analyzes and reports financial figures to ensure proper funding of programs.
- Investigates problems, recommends solutions, and provides operational assistance.
- Utilizes Federal drawdown payment request system to request monthly federal funding according to obligations and field requests.
- Monitors deliverables to ensure cash flow is maintained for non-US government funded programs.
- Initiates all inter-bank transactions for the company based on needs and reconciliations.
2. Prepares invoices for programs. Analyzes and improves billing process to ensure faster turnaround. Responsible for Accounts Receivable in tracking and procuring funds owed to HQ.
3. Prepares and generates billing for contracts. Identifies billing issues and coordinates with field offices to resolve them. Reconciles year-to-date and life-of-contract billing. Follows up on outstanding receivables for contracts. Prepares entries to record contract billing in accounting system.
4. Provides financial analysis.
- Enters Accounts Receivable & Cash transactions in Dynamics SL. Track project funds in database and ensure that they have been transferred & reported correctly.
- Updates all banking information for field offices for each project.
5. Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic accounting principles. Knowledge of accounting software.
- Solid analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Dynamics and Quick Books. Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressure.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- BA/S degree in accounting or related field
- Minimum two years of prior experience working in accounts payable or accounts receivable.
- Experience with accounting software (Dynamics SL and QuickBooks).
- International NGO experience working with USAID contracts, FAR and AIDAR is preferred.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.