3 days left
- Full Time
Virginia Commonwealth University – Office of the Vice President for Research & Innovation – Innovation Gateway Office – Technology Manager – Position # FAB960
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) is a major, urban public research university with national and international rankings in sponsored research. Located in downtown Richmond, VCU enrolls more than 31,000 students in 225 degree and certificate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities. The VCU Office of Research and Innovation seeks to partner with faculty in all Schools and departments as they seek funding, plan studies, establish collaborations, calculate budgets, submit grant applications, negotiate industry contracts, and secure patents and licensing agreements. Skilled staff within each of the major divisions—sponsored programs administration, research subjects protection, animal research, technology transfer, industry partnerships, and education and oversight—look forward to helping VCU faculty in all realms of the research process.
The Technology Manager will conduct technical, commercial and patentability due diligence, including prior art searches and market analyses for new invention disclosures. Prepare non-confidential summaries of invention disclosures for technology marketing. Conduct market research to identify potential licensees and/or strategic industry partners. Identify prospective licenses and market university inventions and research capabilities to industry contacts, entrepreneurs and investors. Draft and negotiate intellectual property related agreements, including licenses, options, inter-institutional, collaborations agreements. Develop strategic research interactions and collaborations with regional and national companies to enhance the university’s research enterprise. Manage filing and prosecution of patent application with outside counsel. Maintain and manage existing agreements, input information and assist with the maintenance of existing invention disclosures and licenses. Provide assistance and guidance to VCU researchers and administrators in promoting VCU’s intellectual property, technology commercialization, and start-up creation. Assist the Executive Director as needed and perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director. Manage and mentor junior team members. Participate in faculty outreach programs and external marketing efforts of the Innovation Gateway. Interact with faculty, students, staff, patent attorneys, industry partners, entrepreneurs, and investors.
• The ideal candidate should possess an advanced degree in engineering and relevant industry experience.
• Candidates should have at least two years of prior experience in academic technology licensing preferably in areas related to engineering.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Experience in developing commercial product scenarios for early stage inventions. Evaluating market potential for projected products and developing and recommending commercialization strategies.
• Project management, negotiation and deal-making skills.
• The candidate should have experience in marketing of early-stage technologies and negotiation of licensing and other commercialization agreements.
• Hands-on experience of managing relationships with licensees, negotiating agreements and contract amendments, and addressing contract compliance matters and other aspects of relationships with licensees.
• Working knowledge of contract, intellectual property and patent law is required. .Personal and relevant network of industry, investors and entrepreneurial contacts is preferred.
Applications, including letter of interest, vitae and the names and contact information for three references must be submitted through http://www.vcujobs.com
Additional information: Salary is commensurate with background and experience.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.