Policy Specialist/Senior Policy Specialist
4 days left
- Full Time
The National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) seeks a highly organized and motivated Policy Specialist or Senior Policy Specialist to join our advocacy team. The ideal candidate will be a skilled diplomat and relationship builder who will work independently and as part of a team to implement NNEDV’s policy priorities, which include re-authorization, implementation, and funding of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (FVPSA), funding for provision of victim shelter and housing, and the advancement of economic self-sufficiency for victims. This is a mid-level position with significant responsibility.
NNEDV is a social change organization dedicated to creating a social, political and economic environment in which violence against women no longer exists. Representing the 56 state and territorial coalitions on domestic violence, NNEDV ensures that the voices of survivors and their advocates are represented at the federal level.
The Public Policy team works on Capitol Hill and with the Administration to make ending domestic violence a national priority. Each year, the policy team oversees a National Census of Domestic Violence Services (the Census) in which we survey thousands of local domestic violence programs to capture a one-day snapshot of the services provided to victims throughout the nation and to document unmet requests. The Census is a key policy tool at both the state and national levels. Learn more at www.nnedv.org/census
The Policy Specialist/Senior Policy Specialist will report to the Director of Government Relations and work closely with the Director of Public Policy to develop and implement the organization’s policy and advocacy goals. An understanding of the legislative, appropriations, regulatory, and policymaking process, particularly regarding domestic violence issues, is extremely desirable. Strong analytical skills are critical to succeed in this position.
The Policy Specialist/Senior Policy Specialist will:
- Represent NNEDV on Capitol Hill with Members of Congress and their staff
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain congressional relationships focusing on key committees to further NNEDV priorities
- Respond to Congressional inquiries and requests
- Prepare and disseminate information on legislation and regulations
- Represent NNEDV at meetings, hearings, briefings, and conferences
- Inform and communicate with membership and grassroots about legislative activities
- Monitor, analyze and summarize federal legislation, amendments and proposals
- Assist with identification of legislative priorities through outreach and engagement with domestic violence coalitions, national partners, and other allies
- Lead specific policy issue areas for the organization
- Draft talking points, remarks, speeches, Hill correspondence, fact sheets, testimony, action alerts, and related materials
- Assist with planning and coordination of NNEDV’s annual Advocacy Day Conference
- Assist with website updates, social media, and field engagement software
- Collaborate with other NNEDV teams towards common goals
- Assist with management and production of NNEDV’s Domestic Violence Census
- Supervise NNEDV policy interns
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Education, and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the organization's mission
- Ability to prioritize and perform duties in a fast-paced and flexible environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a wide variety of audiences
- Sharp legislative and policy analysis skills
- Skilled diplomat and relationship builder
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, relevant work experience
- 1-2 years’ Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred
- Law degree
- Knowledge of appropriations process
Location: Flexible and collegial working environment in our offices on Thomas Circle in downtown Washington, DC, near McPherson Square Metro. Some travel required.
To Apply: Please combine into 1 PDF and email your (a) cover letter, (b) resume, and (c) salary expectations. Please also paste your cover letter into the body of the email. Please send the combined PDF to email@example.com (No mail or faxes please.) The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to applications received by November 26, 2018.
Anticipated Salary Range, based on qualifications and experience:
Policy Specialist $60,000 - $75,000, minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
Sr. Policy Specialist $67,000 - $82,000, minimum of 6 years of relevant experience
NNEDV pays the entire cost for each employee’s Health (HMO plan), Dental, Life, and Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurances. NNEDV contributes 3% to each employee’s 401k retirement plan (no match required). NNEDV also provides 17 paid holidays (including the last full week of each year), 15 days of annual leave, and 10 days of sick leave each year. Vision insurance is available at a nominal cost.
NNEDV is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage your application to join our highly accomplished team!
Apply for Policy Specialist/Senior Policy Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly