Director of Faculty Diversity, Inclusion, and Well-Being
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director of Faculty Diversity, Inclusion, and Well-Being
George Mason University is seeking applications for a Director of Faculty Diversity, Inclusion, and Well-Being who will be an agent of change in implementing Masons vision and strengthening institutional initiatives around our strategic goal of recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty. We seek a professional with experience to provide leadership for a forward-thinking agenda that includes both programmatic (e.g., workshops, learning communities, etc.) and policy work. Collaborating with institutional leadership across all levels, the director will develop and share resources to foster an inclusive, equitable campus climate for all faculty. Our goal of supporting faculty is directly related to our commitment to student success.
Reporting to the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Development, the director will work with the Office of Compliance, Diversity and Ethics (CDE) and Human Resources/Payroll around hiring initiatives to build a diverse and inclusive faculty.
The Office of Faculty Affairs and Development at George Mason University strives to provide an intentional and integrated approach to supporting faculty excellence. We do this by focusing on faculty needs at different career stages, across different faculty appointment types, and across faculty roles. Fostering an inclusive, thriving faculty community at Mason is central to our mission.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity. We are home to one of the countrys most diverse student populations—the most diverse in the Commonwealth of Virginia—and pride ourselves on being one of the few institutions that has equally high graduation rates for students of all backgrounds. Having a diverse faculty is an important strategic focus for Mason and we strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academically and culturally inclusive environment.
- Create and/or participate in collaborative and interdisciplinary alliances around existing diversity, inclusion, and well-being initiatives;
- Develop and assess new strategies and structures for recruitment and retention of diverse faculty;
- Develop and share resources to improve campus climate for existing faculty, including faculty from underrepresented groups, particularly as informed by our Mason COACHE initiative;
- Cultivate mentoring, growth opportunities, and well-being supports that sustain our goals of retaining a diverse faculty;
- Create, implement, and assess - in collaboration with campus stakeholders - new initiatives regarding inclusivity, equity, and well-being;
- Work with the Office of the Provost, Vice President of Research, and others to research, evaluate, and assist in development of early-entry faculty pipeline initiatives such as a post-doctoral fellowship program; and
- Collaborate with faculty and other institutional partners to identify and address barriers for women and underrepresented faculty at Mason, particularly in STEM fields.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree;
- Candidates must have experience working as a faculty member;
- Demonstrated expertise and success in developing, implementing, and assessing campus initiatives and programming that support faculty professional development;
- Knowledge and understanding of current professional development approaches in advancing diversity, inclusion, and well-being within higher education;
- Demonstrated success in supporting efforts - both policies and programs - to integrate diversity, equity, inclusion and well-being into the workforce;
- Administrative experience or other examples of effectively coordinating and communicating with faculty, staff, and administrators across the disciplines;
- Strong leadership, particularly around building collaborative teams, and success working with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Exceptional organizational skills and demonstrated success with project management; and
- Previous experience working as a member of a leadership team. We seek candidates who are flexible, well-organized, inquisitive, entrepreneurial, detail-oriented, imaginative, ethical, collaborative, and able to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks in order to thrive in our fast-paced and diverse community. We particularly encourage members of historically under-represented groups to apply.
Preferred Qualifications: Individuals with experience in program development, program evaluation, and/or successful solicitation of external funding that advances diversity, equity, inclusion, and well-being would be strong candidates for this position. Similarly, individuals who have led and/or worked with National Science Foundation (NSF) initiatives such as ADVANCE may be particularly competitive.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload cover letter, current CV, diversity statement, statement of your professional development and leadership philosophies, and at least 3 references.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :