The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for an accomplished and innovative top editor to lead a talented and ambitious newsroom into the future. The editor will possess a proven ability to inspire journalists, connect deeply with a professional audience, and translate a journalistic vision into high-impact success.
We are searching for: an entrepreneurial and digitally fluent journalist; a passionate advocate for our mission to inform with intelligence the higher-education audience; a champion of enterprise and explanatory journalism; a proven collaborator with a track record of developing successful editorial products; and an excellent leader, manager, and coach who attracts, develops, and retains top talent.
- Act as member of the company’s executive team to develop and carry out the company’s vision and strategy
- Establish editorial vision; set editorial direction; define and execute content strategy
- Drive overall excellence of editorial products, reader experience, and audience engagement
- Work with other stakeholders to expand our audience
- Lead newsroom of 60-plus reporters, editors, and designers
- Establish a shared vision, expectations, and culture of best practices
- Develop editorial elements of new products and services
- Outstanding editorial, managerial, and leadership skills
- Success at shaping a powerful editorial vision and strategy
- Broad journalism experience marked by high-impact online success
- Significant experience in leading newsrooms through successful transformations
- Proven ability to lead teams and inspire journalists to do their best work
- Effective leader, manager, coach
- Strong business acumen, with track record of developing successful editorial products
- A profound commitment to journalistic quality and the value of excellent storytelling
- Deep interest in, and affinity for, understanding and serving a professional higher-education audience
- Excellent communication skills; a compelling public voice and ambassador for The Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education has the nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities. As the unrivaled leader in higher-education journalism, we serve our readers with indispensable real-time news and deep insights, plus essential tools, career opportunities, and knowledge to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
Our award-winning journalism is well-known: More than two million people visit our website every month, and 1,650 organizations across the country make our journalism available through campus-wide site-license programs. Our newsroom is home to dedicated journalists whose expertise informs a deep understanding of higher education and whose work drives the conversations on issues that matter.
The Chronicle of Higher Education Inc. is a privately owned, independent news and information organization founded in 1966. The Chronicle publishes The Chronicle of Higher Education (chronicle.com), The Chronicle of Philanthropy (philanthropy.com), and Arts & Letters Daily (aldaily.com).
To apply, please send your resume along with an explanation and evidence of why you’re the best person for this role to email@example.com.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.