Georgetown University in Qatar is seeking a Network Engineer to plan and direct the operations of the network infrastructure to meet the needs of students, faculty and staff and to address rigorous security requirements. The incumbent will be a key contributor in integrating the University's user applications with the networking infrastructure and will be responsible for managing the University's network connectivity as well as managing the network infrastructure.
- Set-up, maintenance, and administration of Routers, Switches, VPN, Firewalls and servers. Through 24x7 monitoring and response, ensure that servers and routers meet Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance and uptime standards;
- Support a variety of applications and processes that depend on the servers, including but not limited to backup, disaster recovery preparedness, directory and time synchronization, network printing, remote server management, remote user access, and system security;
- Analyze network traffic patterns and resolve problems;
- Plan and implement the required configuration changes to the local area network, VPN and WIFI in the campus using the change control procedures;
- Assist with regular maintenance and audits to systems, including security audits, capacity management, and software patch level surveys;
- Thoroughly test new products, technologies, and configurations in the testing lab and integrate them into the server infrastructure to provide better performance, greater uptime, and new features to the user community, both internal and external to GU-Q IT;
- Develop technical guides that explain Network use and access for distribution to technicians in other groups and the user community as whole;
- Provide and implement detailed project plans for GU IT change control process;
- Participate in development and refinement of policies and procedures relating to security, data integrity, and change control;
- Keep in touch with cutting-edge solutions and attend professional training and conferences, as appropriate;
- Participate, with peers from Education City, in technical forums to share an understanding of network practices and policies of similar organizations;
- Primary liaison to network service providers for technical and engineering support;
- Liaise and work with Georgetown Main Campus IT teams to share and implement strategy and operations;
- Share knowledge with the wider IT team, learning and teaching new skills and cross training to increase team resilience across applications, security and networking systems;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- 3-5 years' experience in a large complex network environment as well as experience working with VoIP, VPN, Storage, VMWare, backup, windows and Linux servers;
- Certifications in CCNA Security, CCNP routing & Switching, CCIE (preferred);
- Certifications in MCSE Cloud platform and infrastructure;
- Excellent working knowledge of network infrastructure and their components;
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment;
- Willing to assist in other areas of IT as required;
- Ability to use initiative and creativity in decision-making;
- Fluency in English language;
- Technical skills in the following:
- IP networking (Cisco IOS, routing protocols, VPN, Cisco Firewall, Cisco AMP, NAC technologies, IDS)
- Radius, TACACS, AAA, DUO
- Security implementations such SSL Certificates, IPsec
- SNMP and network management
- DNS, NTP, DHCP
- SAN technologies
- LDAP, Shibboleth
Qatar offers a diverse, safe, and family-friendly environment. Compensation and expatriate benefits packages are highly competitive. For a glimpse of what it is like to be a part of Georgetown University in Qatar, see: https://youtu.be/HNoERrWln4k.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.