WATER/SEWER/STREETS TECHNICIAN II-IV (2 VACANCIES, STREETS SECTION)
Join our team! Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services has two vacancies in the Streets Section of the Water, Sewer and Streets (WSS) Bureau. These WSS Technicians provide preventive maintenance and repair as part of a team for the County's streets infrastructure.
Specific duties include:
- Performing installation, maintenance, repair and replacement of sidewalks, curbs and gutters, concrete pads, bus shelters and bike share stations;
- Performing other asphalt and concrete work including utility patches and/or potholes;
- Interacting and communicating with team members and County customers;
- Using computerized maintenance record systems to track work and maintenance;
- Consulting with the supervisor at the start of each day, receiving specific team related work instructions and sharing work related feedback at the end of each day; and
- Responding to emergencies such as snow removal operations.
NOTE: This recruitment may be used to fill other comparable WSS Technician vacancies in the Department of Environmental Services.
WSS Technician II:
A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to learn how to operate hand and power tools, work outdoors in all types of weather; and follow basic verbal/written instructions. Typically, this is obtained through a combination of a High School Diploma or GED, and/or training related to the position. The ability to obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License within twelve months of employment is required.
WSS Technician III:
A combination of education (High School Diploma or GED) and experience that demonstrates the ability to operate hand and power tools, work outdoors in all types of weather, and follow verbal/written instructions, plus at least six months of experience in construction or maintenance of streets systems or related experience. Requires possession of valid class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license.
WSS Technician IV:
A combination of education (High School Diploma or GED) and experience that demonstrates the ability to operate hand and power tools, work outdoors in all types of weather, and follow verbal/written instructions, plus considerable experience in construction or maintenance of streets systems or related experience. Requires possession of valid class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license.
Substitution: Additional experience may substitute for the education on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Possession of a valid Class "B" or "A" commercial driver's license at time of application;
- Experience performing asphalt and/or concrete work;
- Experience using a computerized maintenance management system; and/or
- Basic computer experience using Microsoft Office or related software.
1) The applicant must possess a valid class "B" or "A" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) from the applicant's place of residence at time of hire (WSS Tech III and above). The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards. Other positions for which this recruitment may be used to fill, may require a valid CDL with or without endorsements at time of application or within a specified timeframe normally not to exceed up to one year from hire date.
2) Applicants must provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employers information required by Department of Transportation (DOT) agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
3) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. The successful applicant will be subject to drug screening, at such times during employment, as required by federal, state and local standards and policies.
4) Requires ability to respond call-back and other emergencies such as snow removal operations.
Requires learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
Work Hours: Normal work hours for these vacancies are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, the work schedule is subject to change based on departmental needs. All positions require availability for call-back in emergency situations.
WSS Technician II: $31,782.40 - $48,526.00/annually;
WSS Technician III: $35,464.00 - $54,184.00/annually;
WSS Technician IV: $39,020.80 - $59,633.60/annually.
This job announcement lists the salary range from entry level for WSS Technician II to maximum level for WSS Technician IV.
Successful candidates will be placed in areas of need based on experience, aptitude, and interest as demonstrated in the application and interview process.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.