Arlington County Sheriff's Office, nationally recognized for Excellence and awarded re-accreditation by the American Correctional Association Commission (ACA), is now accepting applications for Property Clerk. This person will be primarily responsible for performing property control functions in the County Detention Center including managing the personal property of incoming and outgoing inmates, and maintaining an automated inventory system for Detention Center supplies. The Detention Center is a correctional facility which houses approximately 600 inmates and employs approximately 200 sworn and civilian staff.
- Receiving inmates' clothing and non-monetary property upon entry into the Detention Center;
- Ensuring inmates' property is properly stored and returned upon release, and releasing property to families as needed;
- Issuing uniforms, bedding, linens, and other materials;
- Stocking shelves with moderately heavy supplies;
- Receiving clothing for court appearances from families and issuing to inmates;
- Maintaining material inventory levels in 13 housing units as well as the Booking/Processing area by managing inventory information in a computerized property tracking system;
- Delivering inmate mail while ensuring security precautions have been taken; and
- Notifying appropriate parties when equipment needs repair, and accompanying vendors who perform repairs within the facility during their work to avoid security breaches.
Minimum: High School Diploma or GED plus two years of full-time experience providing services to the public or clients, including filing, document processing, record keeping, and materials management.
Substitution: Successful completion of college coursework from an accredited college or university can be substituted for the experience requirement on the following basis:
- 2 years = 6 months of experience;
- 4 years = 1 year of experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Working in a detention center, hospital, or similar institution;
- Using automated inventory tracking and managing systems; and/or
- Bilingual ability in English/Spanish.
Work Hours: This posting will be used to fill a vacancy on a night shift (7pm until 7am). Candidates must be available to work 12 hour fixed shifts, to include working on weekends and holidays and must have the ability to work overtime.
Applicants must possess the ability to spend the majority of the work time standing or walking, and to lift objects between 30-50 pounds.
Candidates will be required to undergo a thorough pre-employment character/background investigation which includes a polygraph examination and a drug screening test.
Duties of this position include working with and around inmates in the Arlington County Detention Facility.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.