Arlington County's Department of Technology Services (DTS) is hiring an experienced Geographic Information System Mapping (GIS) Developer to join its Enterprise Technology and Applications Services (ETAS) Division. This Developer plays an integral role in the One-Stop Arlington Program, the County's new land development, building and permitting application (hosted on the Accela Civic Platform) designed to streamline business activities.
Specific duties include:
- Conducting analysis of application development requirements to determine the type of hardware required for mobile device platform (IOS and/or Android) and/or desktop workstations, and interacting with vendors to resolve configuration issues;
- Collaborating with clients from departments across the County, operations management, applications and infrastructure teams, and the GIS Developer on data standards, application priorities, system updates and upgrades, API (application program interface) integration changes, and database extracts;
- Developing and implementing technical applications, functional enhancements, workflows, application extensions and interfaces;
- Planning and coordinating work schedules including maintenance activities, regular application and disaster recovery testing;
- Maintaining technical documentation for maintenance schedules, service level agreements, system enhancements and test scenarios;
- Creating reports in Crystal Reports, PowerBI, Microsoft Access, and/or SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) to evaluate operational efficiency; and
- Providing advice and training to end-users.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field and significant education, training and experience that demonstrates competence in the following areas:
- Applications support and maintenance of an enterprise level environment; and
- Developing technical documentation for system enhancements and test scenarios.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Working in a Microsoft operating environment, including Active Directory and Server/Desktop operating systems;
- Programming in Python and Go;
- Using Microsoft reporting tools (such as PowerBI and SSRS and Crystal Reports); and/or
- Working on an Accela Civic Platform; and/or Accela Expression Builder.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and criminal history.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with some flexibility. On-call hours may be required with some off-hours and weekend work to support production system troubleshooting, maintenance windows, disaster recovery, etc.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements. Starting pay within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Pay potential will be based on performance and development.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Note: This announcement will remain open until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and interviews conducted continuously with qualified applicants. This position will close when the position has been filled or when enough qualified applicants has been received.