ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT V
Note: This job announcement may be used to fill other comparable administrative support vacancies within Arlington County.
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services is seeking an Administrative Assistant to support the Water, Sewer and Streets Bureau by serving as the information conduit from the front desk, reviewing operating procedures, and recommending improved systems where needed while maintaining and ordering supplies. This employee will also maintain open communication with co-workers and supervisor while providing excellent customer service to all WSS employees and the County. This position works with a diverse population, some of which have limited English speaking abilities.
Specific duties include:
- Assisting in all new hires and on-boarding processes to include scheduling interviews of potential candidates, preparing packets of information for panel members, on-boarding and creating employee files and serving as an HR Liaison for DES;
- Maintaining key databases for all WSS employees and CDL drivers to include shoe/boot vouchers, safety glasses vouchers and parking passes;
- Serving as admin assistance for emergency (snow) operations within WSS and participating in the coordination of emergency teams to include sign in sheets, meal tickets, and providing data entry for snow season report;
- Utilizing Microsoft Office to update, maintain and disseminate information on e-Boards and Bulletin Boards;
- Processing WSS employees off site training/conference requests while making arrangements for lodging and transportation and assisting employee with requests for reimbursement and expenses related to training and conference;
- Coordinating and processing leave donations for employees on FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act);
- Assisting in all meetings logistics, conference room scheduling, media and audio logistics preparation and serving as back-up to Leadership meetings while preparing minutes weekly/monthly;
- Assisting in office maintenance, working equipment, i.e. machines, toilets, kitchen and refrigerator etc., and coordinate on-site contractors; and
- Maintaining, updating and distributing organization charts with new hires, departures, transfers, promotions, trucks, numbers, etc. to Managers/Supervisors.
Minimum: Graduation from high school or the equivalent plus two and one-half years administrative support experience which may have included: extensive scheduling, tracking and coordination of work; computer experience using a variety of software packages to produce correspondence, reports and statistical data.
- Satisfactory completion of a certificate program from a recognized administrative training school or program may be substituted for up to six months of experience.
- Satisfactory completion of two years (60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours) at an accredited college may be substituted for one year of experience.
- A bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or Human Resources Management may substitute for 18 months of experience.
- Additional experience may be substituted for up to two (2) years of high school on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Utilizing Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook;
- Handling confidential materials;
- Extensive scheduling, tracking and coordination of work;
- Bi-lingual (Spanish); and/or
- Supporting multiple managers.
Work hours: This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position 7:00 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Employee must be able to perform a 12-hour shift during snow operations.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.