Gen Admin Supervisor I / Coordinator I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $42,000 - $45,000
Web Announcement :
Coordinator, Competitive Sports, Camps, and Special Events
George Mason University is the largest public research university in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Here at Mason, we are setting the benchmark for a bold, progressive education that serves the needs of our students and communities. With a student population of over 37,000, representing more than 130 countries, our campus is an organically diverse environment! George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mason Recreation oversees three facilities on the Fairfax campus of George Mason University including the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC), the Aquatic Fitness Center (AFC), and Skyline fitness center. These facilities boast four gymnasiums, racquetball/ squash courts, several locker rooms, fitness galleries and dedicated rooms for yoga, cycling, group exercise, and marital arts/ self-defense classes. We house and maintain a recreation and competition pool, sauna, whirlpool, and several exterior facilities including a pavilion, turf and grass fields, jogging/ walking trails, and a team challenge course on our Science and Technology Campus. We provide the following programs and services for the campus community: Fitness, Aquatics, Outdoor Adventures, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, the EDGE (team building programming), as well as a Summer Youth Camp.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Competitive Sports.
Responsibilities: Intramural Sports:
- Provide administrative coverage for the Intramural Sports program;
- Responsible for the planning, organizing, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating of Intramural Sport leagues;
- Hire, supervise, schedule, and train Intramural Sports officials, program assistants, and intramural sports supervisors;
- Coordinate marketing and promotion of the intramural sports program;
- Plan and facilitate trainings for intramural officials, program assistants, and competitive sports supervisors;
- Coordinate facility reservations with Mason Recreation and various departments on and off-campus;
- Evaluate and provide feedback to intramural officials, program assistants, and competitive sports supervisors;
- Approve timesheets for intramural sports staff;
- Resolve issues of player eligibility, unsportsmanlike conduct, protests, or appeals that may arise;
- Revise and maintain intramural sports participant and staff manuals;
- Revise and maintain intramural sports rules;
- Maintain an updated inventory of intramural sports equipment;
- Develop and maintain budgets for intramural staff and equipment;
- Collaborate with various campus offices, departments, and off-campus organizations;
- Assist with assessment and sport/event summaries;
- Maintain appropriate risk management practices.
- Assist in the recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation of camp staff;
- Assist in the development and administration of camp policies, procedures, and programmatic details;
- Assist with registration, payment, and documentation of participants;
- Assist in the maintenance of camp documents and medical information;
- Ensure all risk management and emergency procedures are applied;
- Provide first responder care for emergencies;
- Assist in the scheduling of camp staff;
- Assist in the marketing and promotion of camps.
- Assist with Leadership training and development of club sport officers and Executive Council members;
- Assist with purchasing for the club sports program as needed;
- Assist with policy review;
- Assist with risk management training and safety audits.
- Assist in the development and implementation of special events for competitive sports and Mason Recreation (i.e Rockin w/REC, Student-Faculty Golf Tournament, RA Olympics, Welcome to Mason, RecSensation, I-Week, Greek Week, and etc);
- Collaborate with various on-campus departments;
- Assist in the recruitment of sponsorships and donations.
- Continue to develop professionally through membership and participation in applicable professional organizations and developmental workshops;
- Provide students and staff with opportunities for professional development through various organizations, workshops, clinics, and extramural activities;
- Coordinate with various on-campus departments to provide leadership workshops for students and staff;
- Serve on Campus Committees pertinent to Competitive Sports, camps, and special events.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Management or a related field; or a combination of education and experience;
- Significant experience in a university/college recreational sports setting;
- Extensive knowledge related of recreational programming and related rules and policies;
- Ability to relate well to diverse individuals and demonstrate the ability to manage a large staff;
- Ability to train, supervise, and motivate student leaders for the competitive sports and camp programs;
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance to a diverse club sports program;
- Ability to manage budgets;
- Ability to foster a positive work environment and encourage collaboration and teamwork;
- Commitment to making an active and meaningful contribution to the universityâ€™s well-being initiative;
- Capable of lifting moderate loads and performing equipment set-ups for various recreational activities; Must possess or be capable of attaining American Red Cross AED, CPR and First Aid certification within 3 months of employment.
- Masters degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Management or a related field; or a combination of education and experience;
- Sports Officiating training and experience in one or more sports;
- Computer software experience in competitive sports scheduling;
- American Red Cross AED, CPR and First Aid instructor certification;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Business.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09402z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2018-11-27