Director of Library and User Services
JOB TITLE: Director of Library and User Services
SUMMARY: The Director of Library and User Services plays a key role in achieving the Washington Research Library Consortium’s (WRLC) vision and mission by providing strategic planning, operational management and technical expertise for services and systems that support library services, resource sharing, and shared collections. The Director of Library and User Services is a member of the WRLC leadership team, coordinating and collaborating with personnel from the libraries, universities and vendors as appropriate. This position reports to the Executive Director and supervises staff responsible for planning, implementing and maintaining WRLC’s digital library systems applications and the Shared Collections Facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Library Management Systems Support: Plans, directs and manages the library and end-user facing aspects of the WRLC digital library systems. Oversees staff who evaluate and recommend digital library applications; provide systems support and problem resolution; configuration and workflow analysis; and training. Coordinates with Information Technology staff to address problems and enhance services. Monitors the library systems marketplace and plans for future software requirements.
- Shared Collections: Manages consortial shared collections program operations. Oversees provision of required data to WRLC partner libraries in support of collection decisions. Coordinates shared collection operations with external partners. Manages staff who support e-resource licensing and access and coordinates with the Coordinated Collections Committee and other WRLC committees, as appropriate.
- Shared Collections Facility: Manages WRLC’s high density shelving facility. Oversees staff and contractors who perform inventory control and provide access services for items in the facility. In conjunction with the participating libraries, develops policies for usage of the facility. Performs cost analysis and price determination in coordination with the Executive Director. Monitors the condition of the offsite storage physical plant, and coordinates maintenance and repairs with the Director of Finance and Administration.
- Supervision: Promotes appropriate staff development and assignments. Periodically reviews WRLC's skill set requirements and staff capabilities, identifies and arranges training opportunities for staff, and initiates changes in job assignments or responsibilities as necessary. Recruits, hires, and trains staff as needed.
- Outreach: Serves as WRLC's primary liaison to the WRLC Steering Committee, and participates in other committees and task forces as required. Cultivates collaborative relationships with colleagues in the WRLC organization, the partner universities and vendors. Provides constructive input for enhancements to services or revisions to policies and procedures. Serves as backup to other positions as necessary. Undertakes special projects and perform other duties as assigned. Seeks new knowledge and updates skills to enhance performance in all areas of responsibility.
The WRLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The WRLC offers a competitive benefits package. Visit http://www.wrlc.org/benefits for additional benefit details. For best consideration, apply by December 14.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references to email@example.com. Visit http://www.wrlc.org/employment for positions available and employment information. An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background screening.
Expected: ALA accredited master’s degree in library or information science, master’s degree in related field, or equivalent education and experience. Five to seven years increasingly responsible professional experience in academic libraries with an emphasis on library systems. Demonstrated ability to manage staff and budgets.
Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong organizational and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and to manage multiple projects and priorities successfully. Strong service orientation.
Preferred: Experience with library automation in a consortial environment, particularly with Ex Libris’ Alma and Primo. Familiarity with data management and analysis. Experience with digital collections and electronic resources. Ability to think strategically and creatively.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.wrlc.org/employment for positions available and employment information. An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background screening. For best consideration, apply by December 14
Apply for Director of Library and User Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly