Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses may be authorized.
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret Tier 5 clearance. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Males born prior to December 31, 1959 must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
NOTE: The person selected for this position may be subject to a one-year probationary period for supervisors/managers.
GS-15: You qualify for the GS-15 level (starting salary $134,789) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-14 level performing duties such as demonstrating knowledge of accounting rules, regulations, laws, policies, and practices by serving as a first or second level supervisor in an accounting field; evaluating financial management functions and accounting activities to ensure management controls and internal controls are implemented; providing oversight of business processes and practices to ensure organizational compliance of agency, and federal financial regulatory directives, policies, and laws; and providing senior-level professional accounting, finance and management advice on issues related to operational accounting and finance work.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four (24) semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage.
In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Apply for this exciting opportunity to impact the accountability of financial resources and the preparation of financial statements within the United States Secret Service. This Supervisory Accountant position starts at a salary of $134,789 (GS-15, step 1) with potential to $164,200 (GS-15, step 10).
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade and unit occur.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Mandatory Suitability Statement:
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
Relocation expenses may be authorized.
Interview Requirement: Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
Veterans: Qualified veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is considered scientific/professional. Other 10-point preference eligibles and veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, a score will automatically be calculated based on your answers to the vacancy specific questions to place you in one of three categories. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Skill in supervising accountants, specialists, technicians and administrative personnel supporting financial analysis, accounting, and auditing of financial resources.
- Knowledge of financial and accounting standards, practices, policies and procedures as it relates to financial and accounting operations and processing requirements.
- Skill in planning, developing, organizing, and directing the implementation of finance and accounting policies, programs and procedures.
- Ability to develop personal working relationships.
- Ability to communicate in order to present ideas, conclusions and recommendations.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories: 1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) and appropriate Quality Ranking Factors (QRF) as determined in the job analysis. 2. Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis. 3. Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined in the job analysis. If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes