PATHWAYS RECENT GRADUATE- Environmental Protection Specialist
Occasional travel - This position requires occasional travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses are authorized for this position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Selected participants are on an excepted service appointment under the Recent Graduates Program and required to serve a one year trial period, and will be evaluated for conversion to a term or permanent appointment in the competitive service at the end of one year.
Selective Service: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
Transcript: You must submit a transcript with your application.
Suitability: Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for the Recent Graduate Program.
- Recent Graduates will enter a formal training program with a mentor and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining training requirements and program expectations.
- Recent Graduates must receive at least 40 hours of formal training directly linked to their employment field.
- Recent Graduates serve a trial period for the duration of their excepted service appointment.
- Recent Graduates will be required to sign a Pathways Recent Graduate Participant Agreement.
- If selected for this position, selectee is required to sign a service agreement to remain employed within Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for a period of at least 2 years.
- Applicants must provide documentation of completion within the previous 2 years of a qualifying, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution*.
- Applicants must meet grade qualifications by start date.
- Provide all required documents by the closing date of announcement.
- Selectee is required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) to determine suitability for federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
THIS POSITION HAS A MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT. Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the education requirement AND experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
For the GS-7, to qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the 05, which includes the following:
- Experience with environmental protection programs, including familiarity with environmental rule-making and regulations; compliance and enforcement; environmental considerations and documentation; preservation and environmental protection; environmental assessments; environmental compliance and Environmental Impact Statements (EIS’s) and NEPA.
To qualify for the GS-07 on Education, you must have:
- At least 1 year of graduate-level education OR superior academic achievement.
You can also qualify based on a combination of graduate level education and experience. This must be fully supported by your resume and transcripts, provided with your application.
For the GS-09, to qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-07, which includes following:
- Experience in environmental protection programs, including reviewing the environmental rule-making and regulations; compliance and enforcement; environmental considerations and documentation; preservation and environmental protection; environmental assessments; environmental compliance and Environmental Impact Statements (EIS’s) and NEPA.
To qualify for the GS-09 on Education, you must have:
- Completion of two academic years of graduate level education; OR master’s or equivalent graduate degree (such as LL.B. or J.D. as specified in qualification standards or individual occupational requirements in a field directly related to the position being filled).
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
RECENT GRADUATE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY:
*Applicants must have obtained a qualifying associates, bachelors, master's, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution, within the previous 2 years unless military service interfered with a veterans eligibility to apply during that two year time frame. Veterans meeting the above exclusion may apply within 2 years of discharge or 6 years from the date of receipt of the degree whichever comes first.
(http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp) for information on crediting education.
You must provide a copy of ALL of your college/vocational/technical transcript(s). See "Required Documents" section for additional information.
Applicants may refer to the U.S.Department of Education’s Institutional Accreditation System to determine whether their school/program is accredited: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. See OPM's General Policies (http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp) for information on crediting education.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Accreditation: Only education from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education is acceptable to meet education requirements or to substitute for experience, if applicable. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/ and U.S. Department of Education website at http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If your education was completed or is from foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
For additional information about the Recent Graduates program, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=Overview
Students enrolled in a degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within 60 days of closing date of this announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
College or university education -- Educational course work may be at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Successful completion of graduate level courses will be accepted as evidence that an applicant also possesses the knowledge taught in courses at lower levels in the same field.
MOBILITY AGREEMENT: Appointees will be required to sign a Mobility Agreement. If you decline a position due to geographic location, you will receive no further consideration under this announcement. This agreement states that in order to be placed in the program, or upon graduation from the program, you may be assigned to any location, within the Federal Highway Administration and that you will move to the new duty location. Failure to relocate can be used as the basis for non- selection and failure to relocate after completion of the program can be the basis for your termination from the Federal service.
This is a two year appointment in the excepted service which may lead to a term or permanent appointment in the competitive service but conversion is not guaranteed or promised.
Recent Graduates will enter a formal training program with a mentor (assigned within 90 days of appointment) and an Individual Development Plan, executed within 45 days of the appointment, outlining training requirements and program expectations.
Recent Graduates must receive at least 40 hours of formal training directly linked to their employment field.
Recent graduates serve a trial period for the duration of their excepted service appointment.
Recent graduates will be required to sign a Pathways Recent Graduate Participant Agreement.
IMPORTANT: Applicants must be open to geographic mobility for developmental assignments and permanent placement relocation nationwide. If you decline a position due to geographic location, you will receive no further consideration under this announcement.
This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions.
EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the basic qualifications for this position, specifically the educational and specialized experience requirements.
Applicants will not be rated or ranked.
All applications that are verified to meet the basic qualifications will be referred to the selecting official.
All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated by a resume. If, upon review, it is determined that your resume and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be removed from consideration.
Ultimately, the Automated Staffing Office is responsible for determining an applicant's eligibility. Please ensure that your resume provide enough detail to support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No