Locksmith Mechanic B (Office of Systems Maintenance)
ORDER OF PREFERENCE: The selection for Maintenance and Construction is made on the basis of fitness and ability with preference given to the Maintenance and Construction District, System-Wide (689), Authority-Wide and external candidates, respectively.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate (GED).
- Vocational or technical training in Locksmith Apprenticeship.
- Mechanic (Locksmith) Grade Level “B”
- A minimum of four (4) years of work experience as a journeyman locksmith.
Twelve (12) months following the achievement of a particular grade level (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), an incumbent may be advanced to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed any required written or practical tests, acquired any required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and job performance requirements.
- Certified Professional Locksmith.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Mechanic Locksmith creates or duplicates keys using key-cutting machines, impressions, or code key machines. The employee installs locks and closers in doors, disassembles electrical and mechanical locking devices, and maintains locking systems by repairing and replacing worn springs, tumblers, and other parts. The employee sets up or maintains master key systems and keeps records of company keys and locks. Solves problems by manipulating cylinders to open locks that have no keys and opens safe locks by using drills and other tools as necessary. Installs electronic access and alarm systems, and travels to locations that require assistance.
Job Levels: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description.
- Installs and repairs complex keyed, combination, and electronic locking systems for various locations to afford maximum security throughout the Authority.
- Dismantles equipment/units to gain access to locking systems to make repair(s).
- Maintains a master keying system.
- Makes keys without having duplicates available for use as templates.
- Opens locked passageways and storage facilities by use of lockpicks, and/or additional applicable tools.
- Opens safe locks and modifies as required.
- Maintains accurate lock and key inventory records.
- Operates Authority vehicles between work locations, as required, to respond to required service locations.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.