Urban Planner I
Urban Planner I
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia, bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington, and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest City in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's 15.75 square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for this Urban Planner I position.
Our work is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan.
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results.
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization.
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship.
The City of Alexandria, Virginia, Department of Planning and Zoning is seeking qualified applicants for an Urban Planner I position. Alexandria is a dynamic and diverse planning environment located within the core of the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area and presents opportunities for planners to work with stakeholders, residents and community leaders within the City's neo-traditional neighborhoods, mixed use and transit oriented areas, waterfront areas, established neighborhoods, and historic districts.
This position is for a highly-responsible individual with experience in graphic design and the graphic software necessary to demonstrate urban planning design, concepts and analysis. The position is within the Neighborhood Planning and Community Development Division (Division) of the Department of Planning and Zoning (Department).
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate is a highly-motivated professional with strong skills and experience in using graphics to convey and communicate often complex urban planning design, concepts and analysis. The ideal candidate will also have an understanding of urban planning and design concepts.
- To produce graphics, presentations, and other communication of information for small area planning processes led by NPCD, including the Landmark Mall re-planning effort and the Eisenhower East Small Area Plan update;
- To assist with small area plan implementation tasks and coordination; and
- To undertake other duties for the Division/Department as assigned.
The Department works closely with the community in each area of the City to carry out City Council's Strategic Plan for vibrant, amenity-rich neighborhoods, protected historic resources, and vital local businesses. With the community as our partner in developing neighborhood plans and reviewing proposals for development projects and businesses, we continue to deliver on the Vision we have developed together.