Part-Time Learning Specialist
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Student Wage / Non-Student Wage
Working hours :
Salary : Pay: $25-$30 per hour commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Part-Time Learning Specialist
George Mason University, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Learning Services Program invites applications for a term limited Part-Time Learning Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position is responsible for assisting the university in its academic efforts by providing students with learning strategies and resources for managing the demands of academic life. Learning Services addresses the needs of students in the general student body and in specific populations including those in academic difficulty, in high-risk courses, culturally diverse groups, traditionally underprepared groups, and students with learning disabilities and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. In addition, Learning Services provides support to faculty and staff in their efforts to improve student learning.
The Learning Specialist will assume a key role in this mission by:
- Carrying a caseload of individuals seeking academic assistance;
- Developing and providing academic success workshops;
- Collaborating with CAPS staff to provide comprehensive assistance to students with learning disabilities, attention disorders, and other learning issues;
- Assisting with training graduate assistants and peer academic coaches;
- Providing consultation to faculty and staff on ways to support student learning. Required Qualifications
- A masterâ€™s (required) or doctoral degree in special education, educational psychology, higher education, or related discipline, or a combination of education and experience.
- A good understanding of thinking and learning processes, and the basic counseling/consulting skills to assess these processes and teach new strategies on an individual basis;
- Experience using a wide-variety of learning strategies that students can use to become active learners, a range of educational methods to help students develop these skills, and the patience and empathy to discern the studentâ€™s skill level and to build on the studentâ€™s individual strengths. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in a college, university or community college setting is preferred.
- Knowledge of learning differences presented by students with learning disabilities, ADHD, ASD and TBI; and a variety of ways to assist them in developing new learning strategies for academic success at the university-level;
- Knowledge and experience in consulting with faculty and collaborating with colleagues on support programs.
Time Commitment: The Part Time Learning Specialist position is designed for a 20 hour per week work commitment through May 17, 2019.
Pay: $25-$30 per hour commensurate with education and experience.
Review of applications will begin Nov 21, 2018. This position is open until filled. Inquiries about the position may be made to Vicki Dominick, Associate Director, Learning Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, 703-993-2380 or email@example.com.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply position number WG2607 at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :