Grounds Maintenance Worker (S03281)
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Job TitleGrounds Maintenance Worker (S03281)
Job Description SummaryJob Title : Grounds Maintenance Worker
Position #: S03281
Montgomery College, Rockville Campus, has an immediate need for a full-time Grounds Maintenance Worker in the Facilities Operations Department. The work schedule is Monday-Friday 6am - 2:30pm. This is a non-exempt, bargaining position, grade 15. For non-exempt positions, you are not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College. This position is considered Essential Personnel.
Under supervision and/or direction, Grounds Maintenance Workers are responsible for the maintenance of campus grounds providing a clean and pleasant environment for the College community and the inspection of equipment to ensure it is safe, in good working order, ready for use, and properly secured after each use.
Contacts and interaction vary and may involve multiple constituencies such as College employees, students, vendors, and the public, providing information, service, and assistance.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
Landscape & Green Space Management: Turf
- Mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, weeding, pruning, planting of trees, shrubs, and flowers, along with the removal of trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Mulching plant beds, watering shrubs, flowers, and lawn as needed.
- Seeding, laying sod, core aeration.
- Leaf and debris removal.
- Other duties as assigned.
Trash and Recycling Collection:
- Maintenance of campus grounds to include, 1st thing in the morning.
- Trash removal from the parking lots and pole cans, inner campus trash cans and grounds along with recycling, bulk trash items, graffiti removal with chemicals, dead animal removal.
- Removal of branches, limbs.
- Trash items may contain biohazards materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintenance of equipment on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Perform preventive maintenance, oil changes, and tune-ups; replace air filters; repair exhaust systems; rotates tires; replaces fuel pump filters, serpentine belts, and hoses.
- Replace turn signal control devices, parking brake cables, broken mirrors, worn cables, batteries, and battery ends.
- Performs snow plow and spreader repairs.
- Maintains all snow removal equipment by replacing pumps, solenoids, hoses, and electronic controls.
- Sharpen and replace mower blades, grease/lube equipment and other repairs and maintenance as needed or requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and any combination of education, training and/or experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One year of related experience.
- Valid driver's license is required and evidence of a good driving record.
- Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of lawn equipment, planting and maintenance of plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs.
- Experience operating snow removal equipment such as tractors and trucks with blades.
- Knowledge of the methods, procedures, and techniques of grounds maintenance work: tools, equipment, and materials used; and hazard/safety precautions.
- Knowledge of plant, tree, shrub, flower care, and identification.
- Knowledge of the operation/use of small engines and performing minor repairs.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy duty grounds maintenance work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others, communicate effectively (verbally and in writing), and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet, and College applications.
- Two or more years of commercial landscaping experience.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by November 21, 2018.
- For consideration, you must include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateWednesday, November 21, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.