Student Trainee (Meteorologist),GS-1399-07 (PATH)
7 days left
- Full Time
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Upon successful completion of the Pathways Internship Program and completion of their academic degree or Certificate program, individuals may be non-competitively converted to a Term position or permanent position in the Competitive Service.
This position is located in Silver Spring, Maryland. Applicants must be available to work there for the duration of the appointment.
*Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
*A one year trial period may be required.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
- Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. The position may require a background investigation at the time of appointment, and may be subject to reinvestigation every five years thereafter. A favorable adjudication of the background investigation is a condition of employment.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on you entry-on-duty-date will be verified through the DHS “E-VERIFY” system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice via Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. Additional information can be found here: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. National;
- Must be at least 16 years of age at the time of appointment;
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a student at least on a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program;
- Be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution;
- Provide an official certified school transcript or proof of enrollment; and
- If selected, must sign a Pathways Programs Internship Program Agreement after being appointed. Official transcripts will be required before you can report to duty.
The ideal candidate for this position is pursuing a degree in meteorology and has course work or experience working with large databases; FORTRAN programming; and Python, NetCDF, GRIB2, and scripting as well as knowledge of statistics and statistical post-processing.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. To be eligible for conversion to a term or career conditional appointment a candidate must meet the requirements for the 1340 series. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/meteorology-series-1340/
To qualify at the GS-07 level:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to meet a Basic Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of specialized experience or substitution of education for experience or a combination of education and experience in order to be found minimally qualified. You MUST meet one of the following basic education requirements:
A. Degree: meteorology, atmospheric science, or other natural science major that included:
- At least 24 semester (36 quarter) hours of credit in meteorology/atmospheric science including a minimum of:
a. Six semester hours of atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics; *
b. Six semester hours of analysis and prediction of weather systems (synoptic/mesoscale);
c. Three semester hours of physical meteorology; and
d. Two semester hours of remote sensing of the atmosphere and/or instrumentation.
- Six semester hours of physics, with at least one course that includes laboratory sessions. *
- Three semester hours of ordinary differential equations. *
- At least nine semester hours of course work appropriate for a physical science major in any combination of three or more of the following: physical hydrology, statistics, chemistry, physical oceanography, physical climatology, radiative transfer, aeronomy, advanced thermodynamics, advanced electricity and magnetism, light and optics, and computer science.
* There is a prerequisite or corequisite of calculus for course work in atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics, physics, and differential equations. Calculus courses must be appropriate for a physical science major.
B. Combination of education and experience: course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In additional to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Using state-of-the-art scientific software programs and operating systems to interpret hydrometeorological data.
EDUCATION: One full year of graduate-level education in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or in a directly related field.
Superior Academic Achievement as demonstrated by a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with one of the following. NOTE It is your responsibility to ensure your application clearly states how you meet one of the provisions below:
- A grade point average (GPA) of 2.9 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last 2 full years of undergraduate study;
- A GPA of 2.9 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for required courses completed in a major field of study, or those courses completed in a major field of study during the last two years of undergraduate study;
- Class standing of upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision of the college;
- Membership in a national Scholastic Honor Society certified by the Association of College honor Societies, excluding freshman honor societies.
COMBINATION: A combination of related graduate level education and specialized experience.
Definition of Student: Student is defined as an individual accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, or certificate) in a qualifying academic institution, on a half or full-time basis. Half-time is defined by the educational institution in which the student is enrolled. Students do not have to be in actual physical attendance in school, online curriculums are acceptable as long as the school is accredited by the Department of Education:
COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT: Applicants must submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses, course title, and number of credit hours. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process, but an official certified copy must be received before you can report to duty.
Proof of Enrollment: NOAA will use applicants transcript as proof of enrollment in the identified college/university. A letter from an educational institution indicating acceptance may be used as proof of enrollment for those students who are continuing studies at a new college or university. An official transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx.
NOAA participates in e-Verify which is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, supporting documents and responses to the online questionnaire will be reviewed to determine if you meet eligibility and minimum qualification requirements. Veterans’ preference applies to all selections made under the Pathways Programs authority in accordance with 5 CFR Part 302.
To preview questions please click here.