The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Building Manager position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The Building Manager is responsible for maximizing and enhancing the value of the City's investment in real property. This position plans, organizes and controls the activities of the properties under supervision so as to optimize the utilization of all resources available and participates in the formulation of overall property objectives, policies and plans appropriate to the scope of services on each specific assignment.
What You Should Bring
Bring your experience and knowledge of building systems and how to manage building projects. You should also bring your experience and knowledge of building systems and how to manage building projects. You should also be knowledgeable of building code compliance, how to write and enforce contracts, how to read and enforce contract plans and specifications. The ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, customers, vendors and the public is essential.
The Opportunity â€“ Examples of Work
- Understand mechanical, fire, electrical, plumbing, security and windows/doors systems located in assigned portfolio area and understand facility impacts on customer(s) operations;
- Interpret/apply applicable building codes, laws, policies, rules and regulations related to facilities operations and construction to ensure safety and compliance
- Coordinate work of contractors, vendors and suppliers in HVAC, environmental issues (lead paint, asbestos abatement/encapsulation), carpentry and other trade work of minor and major facilities construction projects.
- Conduct annual facility audits for assigned buildings
- Identify, define and write scopes of work for projects, defining requirements and project deliverables understanding the resources required to execute the project.
- Prepare procurement Request For Proposals or Quotations and other related documents to secure bids in compliance with city procurement requirements
- Prepare work specifications following standards for trades work, include project timeline and milestones with deliverables
- Prepare reports to include project status updates, prepare and maintain project files, and document project status (photos, memo to file, daily reports)
- Develop, track and report project budgets, requests for POs and payments
- Plan and manage project stakeholder communications from project inception/concept to project close-out to include written communications on project status and updates
- Project closeout completion with checklist and notes
About the Department
The Department of General Services' mission is to provide exceptional management of the City's real estate, facilities and fleet services, and other support services for all our customers. The Department of General Services staff strives to provide our customers with unmatched services by proactively managing the City's assets to support the delivery of services to the City of Alexandria, responding to service requests in a timely manner, listening to our customers, and ensuring that our customers are satisfied with the resolution.