Nomenclature and Informatics Specialist (1243-679)
USP is seeking experts in chemical and drug databases that can help us improve the projection of our scientific content into the digital realm!
The position is a non-supervisory position that is responsible for spearheading the adoption of an enterprise-wide informatics platform that will serve as a foundational content repository of chemical information used for digital publications throughout the organization. The individual will work with Publications, Science, and Strategic Marketing & Program Operations (SMPO), and IT to ensure that the platform delivers efficiencies and innovation for mission-critical scientific publications. This will be a Fixed-Term position for one year from the date of hire, with the opportunity to extend another year.Roles and Responsibilities
- Perform regular entries of chemical substances within the platform
- Work with Healthcare Quality Systems Program Unit Team (HQS) Nomenclature and other Science areas to ensure data quality of the entries
- Pilot a process by which relevant data elements can be extracted and integrated into identified USP publications
- Work with Publications, Science, IT, and SMPO to ensure publication of the USP Dictionary of USAN names using the platform
- Provide updates to the HQS Nomenclature Expert Committee and other internal bodies from time to time
- Liaise with external developers and other subject matter experts to gain expertise on the software platform and work through any technical difficulties. Work to understand and provide pathways to resolve issues related to data governance, sharing, updates, etc.
- Pilot the loading and retrieval of custom data elements into the platform
- BS 7 years of experience, or MS with 5 years of experience with understanding of chemistry and molecular structures
- Experience in the storage and retrieval of scientific data elements in the domains of chemistry, laboratory testing, pharmaceutical products, etc.
- Experience using search and retrieval of scientific databases such as PubChem, DailyMed, ChemSpider, DrugBank, SRS, etc.
- Familiarity with vocabulary standards, esp. RxNorm and UNII codes
- Experience in querying relational databases, web services, and other technology platforms to retrieve data
- Experience in usage of data models and classifications in the drug domain such as NDFRT/MED-RT, ATC Classification, USP Drug Classification, etc.
- Possesses high degree of emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, and curiosity
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders at all levels
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes
- Possesses attention to details in documentation
- Demonstrates flexibility in approaches to developing and implementing solutions
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Possesses strong people skills and organizational skills
- Excellent communications skills, including both verbal and written. Ability to present and impart knowledge to diverse audiences.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular