Supervisory Transportation Security Specialist (Law Enforcement)
Occasional travel - Mandatory travel for training and occasional other travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
To qualify for the SV-J Pay Band(equivalent to GS-14), you must have one year of specialized experience at the SV-I or GS-13 in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that has equipped you with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience is defined as:
- Providing the physical protection of facilities, personnel, classified information, and/or other sensitive materials, resources, or processes. Conducts, monitors and coordinates criminal and administrative inquiries and/or investigations of alleged fraud, theft, and destruction of property, misconduct and other violations of law at TSA Facilities. Coordinates, assists and provides dignitary protection to dignitaries visiting TSA (NCR) facilities.
- Performing the full range of investigative functions on assigned cases.
- Experience as the initial response to Active Shooter and Work Place Violence incidents.
- Providing oversight of the TSA National Capital Region (NCR) Facilities, ID and Access Media, or Support Services Units responsible for security operations at TSA facilities, the issuance and control of all TSA credentials, badges and IDs; supervises computer operations for the Visitor Management and Access Control Offices, and provides oversight for the contracted Security Officers at all TSA locations throughout the National Capital Region (NCR).
- Supervising subordinate employees to include assigning tasks and responsibilities, evaluating work and performance, coaching and developing employees, approving leave, and taking or approving corrective disciplinary actions.
Note: Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour workweek. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
- This position is contingent upon a negative drug test result. Any individual tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
- Must be able to maintain proficiency in all facets of assigned work sufficient to ensure recertification, as appropriate.
- Must be able to carry a firearm and conduct law enforcement activities and maintain firearm proficiency.
- May require 24-hour on call duty in the event of an emergency as well as irregular working hours.
- Must be proficient in English (e.g., reading, writing, speaking, comprehending).
- Must have successfully graduated from a certified Federal, State, or local government Law Enforcement Academy - Certificate showing successful completion/graduation from an accredited Federal, State, or Local Government Law Enforcement Academy.
Supervisory/Managerial Trial Period Requirements: Unless previously completed, you must satisfactorily complete a one-year supervisory trial period to continue in this supervisory/managerial position.
Additional Key Requirements:
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening AND random drug/alcohol testing.
- Selective Service registration is required.
Minimum Entry Age Requirement: Applicants must have reached the minimum entry age of 21 years at the time their application is submitted and, if selected for the position, will be required to provide such proof prior to appointment.
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify including your rights and responsibilities.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
TSA employees who are absent for the purpose of performing military duty may apply for any vacancies announced in their absence.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual’s employment experience will be used only to determine the person’s qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual’s personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination. For more information, click here.
Payment of relocation expenses (Permanent Change of Station) is not authorized.
More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
If you are entering TSA employment on an appointment without time limitations, you must serve a basic trial period unless you have already met the requirement.
TSA policy requires verification of Selective Service registration for male applicants born after 12/31/59. For more information click here.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Grouping procedures. Under Category Grouping, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) as determined by the job analysis.
Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs as determined by the job analysis.
Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most of the critical competencies, including all SPFs as determined by the job analysis.
Veterans: Qualified veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best-qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. Other 10-point preference eligibles and veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. View information on veterans’ preference .
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Knowledge of law enforcement rules, regulations, practices, policies and procedures in order to conduct, monitor and coordinate administrative investigations of alleged fraud, theft, destruction of property, misconduct and other violations of law.
- Ability to develop and present evidence that reconstructs events, sequences, and time elements.
- Knowledge of security programs and activities in other components of DHS and/or other Federal Agencies that impact, are impacted by, or otherwise relate to TSA or similar security operations and programs.
- Knowledge of Access Control and Visitor Management systems and policy and procedure requirements for facility access control.
- Ability to lead, direct, coordinate, supervise, and manager the work of a diverse workforce.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI Drug test required Yes