Education Support Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Mid-$40s; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Enrollment and Veterans Certification Specialist
The George Mason University Office of the University Registrar invites applicants for an Enrollment and Veterans Certifications Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Office of the University Registrar is one of several central units under the authority of the Office of the Provost and reports to the Associate Provost for Academic Initiatives and Services. The Enrollment and Veterans Certifications Specialist will report directly to the Assistant Registrar for Certifications. Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining educational veteran student records and updating data according to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requirements;
- Preparing for agency annual audits (by federal and commonwealth departments); and
- Serving as a Veterans Educational Benefits Certifying Official for credit and noncredit programs, and providing timely and accurate certifications of enrollment regarding veteran students eligibility for educational benefits.
- Assisting the Registrars Office in meeting program requirements and customer service needsâ€”including high-level, customer-oriented services to students, faculty and administrative customersâ€”while balancing competing needs of various constituencies as fairly as possible consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, and other applicable laws;
Major Position Functions:
- Serve as a certifying official for the credit and noncredit students eligible to receive veterans educational benefits from the VA;
- Coordinate the enrollment verification process in accordance with VA rules and procedures.
- Provide customers with the procedures and guidance for establishing and reporting special assistance to Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 35, 1606 and 1607 and Yellow Ribbon veterans and their dependents;
- Act as a certification official for the Registrars office to assure accuracy and compliance of student files;
- Fulfill federal and commonwealth system requirements for ensuring accurate and complete veterans data, institutional approvals and compliance requirements;
- Utilize Caspio, PatriotWeb, Ellucian Banner, Webextender, and other software and systems used in certifying students;
- Participate in training regarding veterans matters, and certification and coordination developments.
- Provide high-quality and responsive customer and stakeholder services;
- Collaborate effectively with all involved offices and officials;
- Provide assigned services and office support, including efforts to improve office operations and enhance efficiencies.
- Serve as a functional back-up in the area of enrollment verifications and degree certifications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the Registrar from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Bachelors degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Customer service experience and strong social skills, especially in dealing with assertive clientele and sensitive matters;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Demonstrated ability to process work during periods of high demand;
- Familiarity with program needs, including financial and regulatory compliance; and
- Willing to perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience with maintaining and using student data and reporting systems;
- Experience with programs addressing student needs and eligibility requirements;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities;
- Experience in coordinating information, problem-solving and demonstrating initiative;
- Experience in preparing for agency annual oversight audits; and
- Experience in working as a veteran educational benefits certifying official.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants can apply for position number 02861Z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by November 19, 2018; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :